TB6612FNG Motor Driver and Wemos D1

Hello,

I need some help in project setup.
Problem - I dont know , how to read and understand schematic/circuit diagrams

I want to run my setup using a 3.7V battery, if possible. [a single 18650]

Should I supply power to Wemos and then to TB6612FNG
or
supply power to VMOT of TB6612FNG and then from VCC to Microcontroller pin i.e. Wemos

should I use 3v3 or 5V pin?

Key Question: How to identify how many volts TB6612FNG will consume

thank you

20200407_183032.jpg

TB6612FNG.JPG

20200407_183032.jpg

TB6612FNG.JPG

That might be terribly wrong. Please make a foto of the physical TB6612FNG that shows the text for the connectors.

I have added the picture of the chip.

Based on TB6612FNG Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com

I see below:

VM Motor Voltage Power This is where you provide power for the motors (2.2V to 13.5V)
VCC Logic Voltage Power This is the voltage to power the chip and talk to the microcontroller (2.7V to 5.5V)

But I do not know how to test using multimeter. If I supply 3.7v to VM, should I get something in VCC ?

can I connect as in the picture? My micro controller is Wemos D1 v3.0

Surely no. Vcc is for the 5 volt parts an Vm is for the motors. 2 separate supplies are needed.
Using 2 AA battories wil not be enough for the motors. Maybe a LiPo but for how long will it run?

Correction. I want to use only 1 DC motor. not 2 as in the picture.

5 minutes is ok. Lipo is 3.7v [ 100mAh], the one I have

I would like to use 1 x 18650.

Please suggest how to use with 18650 and how to connect

Use the 18650 for the motors. Regarding Vcc for Wemos I can't tell. Generally it is often not the best to power the controller from the same source as motors due to electrcal noice from the motors.

Sorry for not asking properly. I now have downloaded Fritzing and designed the schematic

The grey wire is my grey area. I would like to know, if I can connect to 3v3 or 5v pin.

1 motor, 1 x 18650.

If I need to connect direct from battery to 5v Wemos [ and also to VM of driver] , please let me know

Grey is Motor driver's VCC
Please ignore the orange wires...I will use a pwm pin and 2 digital pins

VCC and Standby are connected. Is that right or not...I dont know

TB6612FNG.JPG

Surprised how the below works. drivers VCC is connected to 5v of nano. can this power a Nano?

Create a proper wiring diagram showing both connection points and their symbols. Those coloured lines criss crossing are no good. We will not sit and compare circuit pin numbers to where the lines start and end.

If we forget everything - schematics blah blah

Can I get an answer on what voltage should I expect on VCC pin of driver, if 3.7v is supplied to VM pin?

I see some notes

VM Motor Voltage Power This is where you provide power for the motors (2.2V to 13.5V)
VCC Logic Voltage Power This is the voltage to power the chip and talk to the microcontroller (2.7V to 5.5V)

How much voltage it will consume and how much it can supply via VCC of motor driver?

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/tb6612fng-hookup-guide/all

And it's really pretty simple...

LiPo battery goes to VM of the TB6612FNG to power the motor and Vin of the WeMOS.

3.3V of the WeMOS goes to the Vcc pin of the TB6612FNG, powering the logic part of it.

Remember to connect all the grounds of the TB6612FNG with each other and the WeMOS.

By the way, don't waste your time on Fritzing. You should by now know why. Get real circuit drawing software, or if you're not willing to go through the learning curve (which is pretty steep) grab a piece of paper and a pencil. That already gives generally far more useful results than Fritzing.

wvmarle:
And it's really pretty simple...

LiPo battery goes to VM of the TB6612FNG to power the motor and Vin of the WeMOS.

3.3V of the WeMOS goes to the Vcc pin of the TB6612FNG, powering the logic part of it.

I dont see a VIN on Wemos.

I have setup as below [ and motor spins with simple sketch]

digitalWrite(AIN1, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(AIN2, LOW);
  analogWrite(PWMA, 255);

Problem - 2 power supplies needed. what is the purpose of Standby, and VCC of motor driver

I tried another 18650 for Wemos 3v3, it also works...but very poor

Question: Can I supply 3.7 v to 3v3 or should I connect to 5V pin?

Don't understand how remote cars are available for as cheap as $10 in the shops, whereas I have to use 2 x 18650, a wemos, a driver, a motor and Time.

krisferrari:
I dont see a VIN on Wemos.

Ah, right. They call it 5V. The one that connects to the on-board regulator.

Don’t understand how remote cars are available for as cheap as $10 in the shops, whereas I have to use 2 x 18650, a wemos, a driver, a motor and Time.

I’m guessing that’s US dollars, for lack of specification. Prices are what I’d expect to pay for such components in bulk.

Batteries: about USD 0.2 a piece (the crappy made-in-china ones with a capacity of maybe 10% of what’s printed on them).
ESP8266 (no way they have the WeMOS, at about USD 1-1.2 a piece that’s too expensive) about USD 0.5-0.6 a piece.
Motor: small DC motors retail at USD 0.3-0.4 a piece, in bulk USD 0.1-0.2 each.
Motor driver: <USD 0.5 a piece.
PCB & assembly: about USD 0.5 each.
Case & packaging: <USD 0.5 each.
Profit for the factory: if they’re lucky USD 0.03 each.

That’s how it’s done. Ex factory price <USD 2, the rest of the cost is in transport, logistics and (the largest part) retail margin.

I tried 2 x 18650 to VM of driver
connected Motor VCC to Wemos 5V. but it didnt work.i.e. wemos is not getting power

tested VCC with multimeter...getting 2 milli volts or so

Not able to understand what is standby? why vcc to standby should be connected? why VCC is not having any voltage?

You obviously forgot to provide power to the WeMOS. The Vcc pin of the motor board is a power input, and should be connected to the Vcc of the WeMOS (i.e. 3.3V, not 5V, or you burn out your WeMOS)

Check the specs: the voltage of the batteries may be too high for the 5V input. A NodeMCU would be fine with 8V on the RAW pin, I recall WeMOS uses a regulator that's rated up to 5.5V input.

You obviously forgot to provide power to the WeMOS. The Vcc pin of the motor board is a power input, and should be connected to the Vcc of the WeMOS (i.e. 3.3V, not 5V, or you burn out your WeMOS)

Please can you help me understand - what power input means?

Should wemos be supplied power from a different source (or) Motor drivers VCC will power up wemos?

I get guidance that takes me nowhere.

I was suggested to use a TB6612FNG instead of L293D or l298n, and then I end up in the same situation...dangling

May be I will do it myself

A power input is where you input power to a device. Connect your power source here. Examples include the 5V pin on the WeMOS, the VM pin on the TB6621FNG and the Vcc pin on the TB6621FNG.

A power output is what you find on a power source, power can come out. Such as the poles of your battery.

The Vcc pin of the WeMOS can be both power input (if you connect a 3.3V power supply here) or power output (if you connect a power supply to the 5V pin, or the USB connector).

krisferrari:
I get guidance that takes me nowhere.

I was suggested to use a TB6612FNG instead of L293D or l298n, and then I end up in the same situation...dangling

I don't know why you're suggesting that the TB6612FNG is so much more complex than the L293D or L298N to use, as it isn't. The pin markings may be a bit different, but as long as you understand circuit basics and what those chips actually do, there should be no problem switching between the two.

Besides, there are heaps of TB6612FNG tutorials out there as well. Complete with wiring diagrams, example code, etc. No reason to duplicate those things here. We can help leading you to the water... but the drinking, you really have to do yourself.

I am not saying TB6612FNG is complicated, but the setup is not working.

My real setup is below

When I dont use power source for Wemos D1 mini, it is not working. I had to power D1.

Motor driver VCC to powerinput aka 5V of Wemos D1 mini v3.0.0 didn't working i.e. it is not available to access via webpage. I think it is not getting power from the Driver.
Could this be problem with driver?

STBY pin has to be connected to an output (or pulled up to Vcc).

Vcc is not connected to any power source - connect it to the 3.3V pin of the WeMOS.

Why don't you follow one of the many online tutorials, like this one from SparkFun? Except for them using a single power supply it's basically the same as what you're trying to do.

sorry to post on old topic, but I want help on this.

The motor is not spinning (sometimes spins), making some squeaking noise.

Are my connections ok? IS the battery not sufficient? please advice

wemosTB6612.JPG

wemosTB6612.JPG