Throttle Joystick for RC plane

I tried searching through these forums and elsewhere but I couldn’t find the information I needed. I am trying to make an RC plane transmitter and I would like the throttle joystick on the controller to act how a normal RC plane transmitter does: the X axis snaps back to center and the Y axis does not self center (for example, if you push it all the way up, it will not go back down unless you manually pull it back).

My question is are what specific joysticks/dual axis potentiometer s can I buy that perform this way? Or, which ones can I alter to act the way I described above?

A couple of things:

-This is meant to be thumb stick size only (no plane simulator style joysticks please)

-I know I can achieve the same function with a normal gamepad joystick and measuring whether the throttle increases, decreases or remains the same but I would prefer not to do that.

-Joysticks with a single centering spring won’t work. If I remove that, then both axes will “stick” and I only want one axis to do that (unless I am completely wrong about this in which case please correct me)

-I would prefer specific models that i can actually go find and purchase. During my scouring, several people mentioned it was possible to alter a joystick or that they existed already but provided no link or model and obviously I couldn’t find them

EDIT:
-I also know I can use an old RC transmitter but I don’t have one lying around and I would prefer to not have to take one apart or try to fit my setup in its case

HINT!!!
Get it all working with any joystick with the resistance you need, THEN worry about substituting the joy stick you want.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: HINT!!!!! Get it all working with any joystick with the resistance you need, THEN worry about substituting the joy stick you want.

Paul

How is this an answer to my question? Did you even read my post?

staal54a: EDIT: -I also know I can use an old RC transmitter but I don't have one lying around and I would prefer to not have to take one apart or try to fit my setup in its case

I know that you said that this is not what you want to do, but it is exactly what I would and several times have recommended. It is the standard form factor that is understood by everyone in the RC plane hobby. It is a robust case. It is a set of joysticks that have the exact centering/not centering behavior you want. Most have a fair amount of volume in them for your own gear. Most some with a rechargeable battery that you can use to power your project. Most are very cheap on the secondary market.

Edit: I did find RC Trnasmitter joysticks on Aliexpress.com Search for Transmitter Gimbal Assembly Radio Joystick Rocker arm assembly for Specktrum DX6i ORX T-SIX Mkron Hobbyking RC Transmitters

staal54a:
I tried searching through these forums and elsewhere but I couldn’t find the information I needed. I am trying to make an RC plane transmitter and I would like the throttle joystick on the controller to act how a normal RC plane transmitter does: the X axis snaps back to center and the Y axis does not self center (for example, if you push it all the way up, it will not go back down unless you manually pull it back).

My question is are what specific joysticks/dual axis potentiometer s can I buy that perform this way? Or, which ones can I alter to act the way I described above?

I build my own completely custom Arduino RC planes too. I use these thumb sticks and am quite pleased with them.

Each axis on each stick can be configured to be “return to center” or not - just what you need.

Also, check out my current RC plane’s build log - might find some useful things there.

vinceherman: I did find RC Trnasmitter joysticks on Aliexpress.com Search for Transmitter Gimbal Assembly Radio Joystick Rocker arm assembly for Specktrum DX6i ORX T-SIX Mkron Hobbyking RC Transmitters

Power_Broker: I use these thumb sticks and am quite pleased with them.

Each axis on each stick can be configured to be "return to center" or not - just what you need.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out

For a Throttle for a plane I think a Joystick that does not self centre would be better for user feedback.

If that is not an option the code in this Thread allows a joystick to increase a value when pushed forward but it stays at that value when the joystick self centres.

...R

Robin2: For a Throttle for a plane I think a Joystick that does not self centre would be better for user feedback.

The joystick I linked to can be configured to not "self-center" - that's how I have my throttle implemented for my plane hand controller.