Timer registers

Hello. I’m trying to use the timer manipulatin the registers, so the first i did was read the datasheet.

However, I have a problem with the time that the ISR function executes.
I’m using the timer0, in CTC mode.
The idea is turn on and off a led every 0.5 second, so im incrementing a variable each time the ISR function executes.
The prescaler is set in 1024, and the output compare register in 249, so interrupt frequency (Hz) = (Arduino clock speed 16MHz) / (prescaler * (compare match register + 1))
interrupt frequency = 16Mhz7(1024*(249+1)) = 62.5 Hz

So if I understund correctly, the ISR function executes 62.5 times per second, and when enter 31 times equals to 0.5 seconds, but the cont variable is changing every 5 seconds.
What is wrong?
thanks!

#define ledPin 8
int cont=0;
bool estado = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

SREG = SREG & ~(1<<7); //desabilitar TODAS las interrupciones -- bit7= Global interupt eneable
  TCCR0B |= (1<<2) | (1<<0); //CS02:0 Clock select - clock source -- prescaler=1024
  //CTC MODE
  TCCR0A |= (1<<1);
  //--------
  TCNT0 = 0; //Writing to the TCNT0 register blocks (removes) the compare match on the following timer clock. 
  OCR0A = 249; //Outupt Compare Register A  --> frec interrupcion= 62.5Hz
  TIMSK0 |= (1<<1); //Bit 1 – OCIE0A: Timer/Counter0 Output Compare Match A Interrupt Enable

SREG = SREG | (1<<7); //habilito TODAS las interrupciones -- bit7= Global interupt eneable

}

ISR(TIMER0_COMPA_vect)
{
  Serial.println(cont);
  if(cont==31)
  {
    cont=0;
  }
  cont++;
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  if(cont==31)
  {
      digitalWrite(ledPin, digitalRead(ledPin)^1); 
  }
}
  TCCR0B |= (1<<2) | (1<<0); //CS02:0 Clock select - clock source -- prescaler=1024

//CTC MODE
  TCCR0A |= (1<<1);

Since the Arduino code initializes Timer0 as well, you should make sure to set the whole registers rather than just flipping some of the bits (use TCRxx = val instead of TCRxx |= val)

Also you cannot use delay() or Serial calls from inside an interrupt, this may/will block the processor completely. These calls wait for other interrupts to happen, which is doomed during an interrupt handler.

Any non-local variable used by an interrupt needs to be declared volatile to prevent the compiler optimizing it away.

westfw:
Since the Arduino code initializes Timer0 as well, you should make sure to set the whole registers rather than just flipping some of the bits (use TCRxx = val instead of TCRxx |= val)

Thanks!!!
It's Working now.