Trying to control 6 dc motors? NO one can agree. I need some advice. Thank u

Hi, I am needing to control 6 dc motors. I have purchased basically every product Adriano sells. No one can agree on how to do it. I have a Nano with 3 dual motor shields, a mega, and a Uno. I need help from someone who has been down this road before. I sincerely appreciate any help. Thank you, Lance

llance11:
Hi, I am needing to control 6 dc motors. I have purchased basically every product Adriano sells. No one can agree on how to do it. I have a Nano with 3 dual motor shields, a mega, and a Uno. I need help from someone who has been down this road before. I sincerely appreciate any help. Thank you, Lance

We now know you have a Nano, an Uno, and a Mega.

Now tell us about your motors, your two supplies, and your motor shields.
Links.
Leo..

Hi, the motors are micro dc gear motors. The 2 shields I have are for the Nano. They are Nano dual motor shields. I am not sure what supplies are? I can send specs for all components if you need. I just need to know what configurations will control 6 dc motors. I will buy anything to make it the smallest. Thank you! much appreciated, Lance

Yes, we need specs. Which exact shields do you have? A link to a product page or a datasheet will be required.

"Supplies" means power supply. You will need to have a power supply that can deliver the amps and volts required by your motors. Do you know the amps and volts for the motors?

Why do you need small? What are you trying to do? Perhaps if we knew more about the application, we could suggest a better way to do it. Is weight a factor? Can it be small but stacked high or do you prefer a flatter layout?

Hi,
Motor specs
• Nominal Voltage: 6V
• Free RPM: 100
• Stall Torque: 90 oz-in (6.5 kg-cm)
• Stall Current: 1600mA
• Reduction: 298:1
• Size (mm): 1.42" x 0.39" x 0.47"
• Weight: 0.35oz / 10g

Arduino Nano 7-12V, 2A Dual Motor Controller

Product Code : RB-Gra-09
• Dual full H-Bridge driver with PWM control
• 2Amps per motor, 24VDC maximum motor voltage
• Large high quality decoupling capacitors
• Arduino Nano is not included

I planned on just using a LIt 9v battery. It is going on a handheld product so size important. Size is critical no matter how its done. I just need someone to tell me the options I have to control 6 dc motors. I will but whatever is needed. Thank you, Lance

What is a "LIt 9v battery". A 9volt PP3 smoke alarm battery?

Or a 7.2volt LiPo battery.
Leo..

llance11:
Arduino Nano 7-12V, 2A Dual Motor Controller

Provide a link to the datasheet.

There are too many products to expect people to know them by name.

...R

What are my options to control 6 DC motors. Here is a link to the motors I am using,

It is part of a handheld unit so size and weight are important. Thank you so much. Lance

an alligator clip will work.
A toggle switch will work.
A pushbutton switch will work.

Lots of options. Do you want the arduino to control it?
Do you want it to go forward and in reverse?

Please give us more detail, and an overview of your project, so we can give more appropriate suggestions.

I am needing to control 6 dc motors that go both forward and reverse. I am using a thumb joystick. What I need to know is the Arduino set up. Will a nano and three dual motor shields work? Will a mega with a adafruit motor shield V2 work? Thank you, Lance

Will a nano and three dual motor shields work?

Yes it could be made to work but it probably will not work straight off, you will have to rewire them.

Will a mega with a adafruit motor shield V2 work?

Same answer.

Do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Hi, sorry I am a noob. what do you mean by they will have to be rewired? Thank you, Lance

what do you mean by they will have to be rewired?

A shield has the wires that correspond to the Arduino pins. If you want to use two shields then you will have to change that wiring so that each connection on the motor control chip on the shield has its own unique Arduino pin.

Thank you for all the advice! If I go with the mega and the adafruit motor shield V2 will I need more than one shield? Thank you, Lance

In your previous posts you say "size is critical".
Now you are talking about a Mega and two shields (one shield is four DC motors).

Wouldn't the Nano with one motor shield and two of these added to it be better.
Or a Nano and three of those tiny driver boards.
Assuming you have enough pins for what you plan to do.

I hope you do realise six motors need a beefy 2C LiPo battery.
Leo..

I would love to use the nano and one shield with two of those dual drivers if that will work. How do I know if I will have enough pins or not? Thank you, Lance

You haven't told us what you want to do with these motors.
If you want full control over each motor, three pins are needed per motor.

Read the motor driver manual, and the Nano specs, and do the homework.
Leo..

First you say this, which six logic level MOSFETS can control:

I just need someone to tell me the options I have to control 6 dc motors. I will but whatever is needed.

Then you say this:

I am needing to control 6 dc motors that go both forward and reverse. I am using a thumb joystick.

So what is the next surprise, the motors are located on the back side of the moon? You need to explain in detail what you are trying to accomplish.

My apologizes. I now understand why all the detail is needed. I need 3 motors to only run forward the other three need to be reversible. Again sorry, Lance