turn off auto-indent in arduino ide

Is there any way to turn off auto - indent in the arduino ide, so i can format my code myself. its pretty frustrating.
Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

What is it that you do not like about auto-indent ?
How would you choose to format the code ?
Have you tried auto-format ?

You could always use the external editor of your choice and compile the code entered using the IDE.

If you load up the arduino preferences.txt file with the IDE closed and find & alter to editor.tabs.size=0

UKHeliBob:
What is it that you do not like about auto-indent ?
How would you choose to format the code ?
Have you tried auto-format ?

You could always use the external editor of your choice and compile the code entered using the IDE.

I use standard formatting, I have been writing C for a long time in vim: a normal editor, so Im used to doing my own indenting.
.it keeps tripping me up and slowing me down when it puts them.
Also it maps shift + backspace to delete which is also annoying.
its personal preference, i guess some people like it, for me it just gets in the way because im not used to it.

Il probably just write my code in an ordinary editor and copy paste in.
Although it is quite neat having syntax highlighting for the arduino functions and not having to copy and paste.

Riva:
If you load up the arduino preferences.txt file with the IDE closed and find & alter to editor.tabs.size=0

Il try this, but will it not also stop me being able to use tabs normally? Il check and report back anyways, thanks a lot for the input.

ok guys, i solved the issue.
i just set
editor.indent=false
and
editor.keys.shift_backspace_is_delete=false

appreciate the configuration file, makes it nice and easy to get set up how u like
cheers again

If you use Windows have you seen Notepad++ (NPP). I set the Arduino IDE to use external editor and use NPP to do my editing, I added arduino keywords to it so it knows and highlights regular arduino commands like pinMode etc.

Riva:
If you use Windows have you seen Notepad++ (NPP). I set the Arduino IDE to use external editor and use NPP to do my editing, I added arduino keywords to it so it knows and highlights regular arduino commands like pinMode etc.

Hi Riva,
thats a brilliant idea, sadly im on linux, but I might look into seeing if there is a linux editor that will allow me to do this.
Thanks again for the help and input

Hope you find something suitable, if not there is always wine.