Ultrasonic Mist

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to build a fake jetpack to be used during a cosplay, with LED indicators and mist flowing from the bottom.

I read about creating mist using ultrasonic waves on water. All I have is the official Arduino Starter Kit (with piezo), an Arduino Mega and an ultrasonic sensor.

Any advice for the fog?

Any advice for the fog?

Yes buy a device specially for ultrasonic fogging. The normal distance sensors are not waterproof.

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes buy a device specially for ultrasonic fogging. The normal distance sensors are not waterproof.

Is there any device working between 3.3 - 9 V? Or specifically built for Arduino boards?

i don't know that arduino can power something like that from the board itself or that there is a device made specifically for arduino boards. anyone?

i did stumble upon this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Mist-Maker-Fogger-Water-Fountain-Mini-Air-Humidifier-Atomizer-12-LED-/161278307828?hash=item258cefadf4

which seems maybe like what you mean and has a picture of it in action.

however, it runs on 17V 800mA, so thats 13.6W

the adapter that supplies that runs on 110-250V, 50/60Hz

maybe you can use a small inverter like a tweaked car plug adaptor from ebay to run off a 12v battery

if you want to activate it maybe it can be done by manual switch with the LEDs you put on it being arduino controlled.

if you wan't to control the powering of it by arduino, i don't know, i am hoping to know about running higher power devices myself.

i hope someone more knowledgeable come along to help

Is there any device working between 3.3 - 9 V? Or specifically built for Arduino boards?

No to both questions.

I tried to build a fog machine with an ultrasonic mister and I was disappointed...

I think the one I have 85 is Watts. My plan was to put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a pipe installed in a lid and a fan installed in the lid to push air-flow in. I didn't get much fog/mist out of it, and dissipated rapidly. It was maybe about equal to steam coming out of a tea kettle.

If I put the thing in the bathtub, it fills the bathtub with thick mist, but I guess it has to be confined with very-little air flow. The mist hangs in the bathtub and does not fog-up the whole bathroom.

Also, the "mechanics" might be difficult in a costume. The disc needs to sit just below the surface of the water. Mine came with a float that keeps it at the correct depth.

You could have a water tank and drop some dry ice in it, then just vent the mist out the "jet-stream". You might go through dry-ice too quickly though... not sure how long it lasts.

dry ice could be made into pellets and dropped individually. would allow some degree of control.

With dry ice, don’t forget a water heater. After not too long, the water gets too cold and it stops “boiling”.

Zephos:
. not sure how long it lasts.

only a day or so in an insulated container

aarg:
With dry ice, don't forget a water heater. After not too long, the water gets too cold and it stops "boiling".

but there would be water around anywhere. any bathroom will offer new tap water to use.

Boardburner2:
only a day or so in an insulated container

put styphroam coolers in your arms.
raise your arms, say -up-up-and-away......
some of the pellets will fall into the water and you can have your 'jets' blasting off !

dave-in-nj:
dry ice could be made into pellets and dropped individually. would allow some degree of control.

Dry ice can be bought as pellets for shotblasting.

Why not look at a fogging machine , the liquid just needs a heater to vaporise it.

Use an rc lipo pac if higher moble voltage is your need

also consider compressed carbon dioxide (CO2) if you need it quick
compressed co2 can make dry ice also

consider fibre optics like in a fo christmas tree for light effects

A CO2 fire extinguisher would be a killer effect! But, it would probably cost you at least $100 USD and I’m not sure how much “blast time” you’d get out of it. And from what I read, refilling them is not economical so they have to be considered disposable. If you are good at plumbing you could probably modify the nozzle to slow it down and make it last longer.

DVDdoug:
And from what I read, refilling them is not economical so they have to be considered disposable.

Disposable ones are no good.

Have to be the larger refillable type with a dip tube so that the liquid co2 is expellled not the gas.

Dip tube equipped are commonly available to plumbers who use them for pipe freezing

Of you mean a co2 dry powder extinguisher , they are very messy.

Dont want to be that arse, but having a chemistry degree taught me one important lesson...

Unless you know what you are doing, dont F*** with compressed canisters...unless you want an extra porthole in your lab.

Johnny010:
Dont want to be that arse, but having a chemistry degree taught me one important lesson...

Unless you know what you are doing, dont F*** with compressed canisters...unless you want an extra porthole in your lab.

Totally agree.

I am assuming the co2 is being used to generate dry ice to use in the effect.

Even that has hazards for a stage environment.

Where foggers/gas are concerned a sutibly qualified person should be present.

Personally i would use pyro but an ultrasonic fogger may be ok, bear in mind though that such devices are heavy and require a substantial supply.