Unable to flash demo sketch to Nano V3

Hello,

I'm very new to Arduino, got my first board (Nano V3) 12 hours ago and since 11.8 hours I'm trying to ask Google why I'm not able to flash the blink example sketch (or any other).

For both errors I get tons of results within Google, but no one solved the problem.

The error I get when I click "upload":

Using Port                    : \\.\COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

If I try upload "upload with programmer" I get:

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

Same issue on three PCs (2x Win 7 64bit, 1x XP 32 bit)
The conditons:

• Arduino is connected via USB-Cable
  • During the first half second after plugin in USB all LEDs (PWR, RX, TX, Pin13 LED) flash 1 or 2 times
  • Power LED stays on
  • Pin13 LED blinks slow (about every second) three times
  • Pin13 LED goes off for 1-2 seconds
  • Pin13 LED blinks very fast (I guess arround 3-5 times / second)
  • when pressing reset Pin13 LED goes of and starts blinking fast again after releasing the button
  • When trying to flash a sketch:
    -Pin13 LED goes of
    -RX LED blinks three times (TX LED stays off)
    -Pin13 LED starts blinking fast again

What I tried so far (everything I found on Google):

• Different USB-Cables
  • Different Computers
  • Different Drivers (the one windows loads automatically and the ones shipped with IDE 1.0.4)
  • Using AVR ISP and AVRISP mkII Programmer
  • Using different upload speeds (especially 57600,19200 and 9600)
  • Reboot of PC and arduino

I'm very sure I selected the right COM-Port and the correct board from the list. There are only the drivers for the FTDI to install, noting else is that correct? Finally I get an aditional COM-Port after installing the drivers, an "Arduino Board" does no appear within the Device Manager in windows. I get the same errors during the atempt to reflash the Bootloader though the IDE.

Maybe the bootloader is defect?

Thanks for any help!

This is the bit that is telling you the computer can't see the arduino:-

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

So either the drivers are not installed correctly or you have a faulty Nano.

Finally I get an aditional COM-Port after installing the drivers

If you choose that one and the correct board then it is the Nano that is faulty. Send it back to the supplier.

Thank you for that hint, I'll send it back... I don't want to wait again =(

Read here. I had a similar error.

Even when I know that error can be caused for hundred of reasons, you never know, and perhaps this can solve your problem.

How I dealt with this error

I got a new board and I still have the same error - so I'm quite sure that I've got a different problem :frowning:

@American2020: Thank's for that hint - I tried but either I have a different problem, or I missed the right moment to release the button

Which programmer setting and which bitrate do you use? I tried different variations, but if I know which one to use it's one possibility less which may be wrong.

One more hint, which could be helpful(?) The fast flashing also occures when connected to an external power source (VIN,GND) with no USB connected.

Sorry but that last point is to be expected. The flashing is caused by running the default code in the arduino and this is the same irrespective of how it is powered.

Have you tried just uploading the sketch normally without using any programmer?

Sorry but that last point is to be expected. The flashing is caused by running the default code in the arduino and this is the same irrespective of how it is powered.

Ok, just thought that it could be a hint included into the bootloader to indicate some IO problems, problems with the FTDI etc. I wanted to tried a scenario without using USB, so that the FTDI is not powered on.

Have you tried just uploading the sketch normally without using any programmer

I ONLY tried uploading directly, because I do not have a programmer. As I found out, selecting the programmer has no influence on flashing the sketch "directly". I bought an USB-ISP-programmer, this one should arrive shortly. I hope that I will have sucess to reflash the bootloader or at least a sketch to find out if I got a broken Arduino, or dealing with some driver issues etc...