Unable to see COM port in Arduino

I have the Arduino Mega 2560 board attached to my 3D printer. I have connected it to my computer with a cable.

Under Device manager, the board shows up under Ports (COM & LPT) attached through COM 3. How ever the icon showing the connection is greyed out. The only time it is not greyed out is when I 'reset' i.e. unplug then plug it back in again to the computer. This last only a few seconds. When I open the properties on the board, it shows all drivers up to date.

Into Arduino 1.6.7. I load in the Marlin_RAMPS_EPCOS_i38. Normally under tools, in the ports area, it only shows COM 1, not COM 3. The only time it shows COM three is right after the reseting above. Again, last only seconds.

When I click upload, the errors I get are mostly:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

All this time there are no LED lights on the board lit up.

However, when I reset and quickly try and upload, something new happens. Still to no avail, but a new error appears:

avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

And on the board, the LED blinks rapidly (several Hz).

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you by chance have a clone that has the CH340 USB chip? It is obvious to the naked eye. If so, you will need to install drivers for it.

No, not that I can tell. I'll try the drivers anyways. But from everything I can see (I have a board right on top of my input, so limited viewing) it does not have the ch340 chip.