Uploading problem with FTDI Chip

Hello guys,

i’m trying to upload an arduino sketch without using the onboard atemga16u2. I have this FTDI Breakout Board by sparkfun.

I connected the TX and RX Pin from the breakout board to RX0 and TX0 on the Due. CTS is on GND and DTR is with Reset connected. The drivers for the breakout board were installed by windows 8.1 via auomatic update and in the hardware manager is no error for the breakout board.

I get the Error: No Devive found on COM3.

I used the board “Due(programming port)” and i have version 1.5.7.

Uploading via the onboard chip on the due is no problem.

I hope you have some ideas how to fix my problem.

Regards,
Tobias

Ps: I switched RX and TX. Same problem.

IS your FTDI driver installed in your PC??
while uploading program which port you are selecting??
can you share snapshot of port selection while connecting FTDI driver
can you share image of computer mangement port detection to make ensure you got right port installed.

In the attachments are the information. If you need more, tell me i will take a snapshot of it.

First picture is without FTDI Chip. Second is with it. Then the details and a picture of my IDE.

I hope it is no problem that everything is in german.

Tobias

Before.png

Details1.png

GND <–> GND
CTS <–> (not connected)
5V <–> 5V (if you want the breakout to power the arduino)
TXO <–> RX (pin 0)
RXO <–> TX (pin 1)
DTR <–> RESET (possibly through a 100nF cap*)

This must be connection setup for Your diagam. Other things seems ok. If you connect the DTR pin of the breakout board to the RESET pin on the atmega through a 100nF capacitor there’s no need to press the reset button to upload sketches. Else you need to press and relase Arduino reset button @ time of upload.

Can you upload to a Duo this way? I thought the Duo had built in USB ports/bootloader that don't use UART ports.

@AMPS-N it didn't worked. I double checked all connections. I get the same error: device not found on Com3. I didn't use a capcitator, but i tried it with RESET Button, too.

@Riva I cannot upload with an external FTDI Chip. With the onboard it works well, but i want to use an external chip for an other project. The Due has no sepearte Bootloader like the Atmega boards.

Topsy:
@Riva I cannot upload with an external FTDI Chip. With the onboard it works well, but i want to use an external chip for an other project. The Due has no sepearte Bootloader like the Atmega boards.

Okay, a quick skip through the datasheet and schematic and it seems you may need to pull PC0 high (3.3V) during reset to erase the flash memory ready for programming using PA8 & PA9 (RX/TX)

How should I do this? Just simple wiring or is there an option for this?

Topsy:
How should I do this? Just simple wiring or is there an option for this?

I’m not sure the PC0 pin is broken out to the headers but one way to test would be to press and hold down the erase button on your Duo while initiating the FTDI upload. I don’t know if it needs holding down just during reset of during the entire upload process. The serial port should be set to 115200,8,N,1
Don’t forget the Duo is a 3.3V device so ensure the FTDI is working at this voltage else you may damage something.

I changed the baudrate and tried it with the two buttons. It donesn't work.

Do you think it is possible that i cut off the Sam3x to upload with this board, which i have, an breakout board which has an Sam3x?
So that i use my current DUE without processor as an programmer?

BOSSA is a utility which programs a SAM chip using the SAMBA bootloader running on the SAM. SAMBA is in ROM, and runs if the Flash is blank or has been erased.

To erase the Flash requires the ERASE pin (PC0) held high during reset (as previously stated) and the clever bit is that the 16u2 does that for you (look at the Due schematic and you see connections from 16u2 to SAM3X of RESET and ERASE). PC0 is not broken out so either you have to press RESET/ERASE manually or solder a wire to the ERASE button.

If you have a standalone Sam3X you will need to find a way to control the ERASE/RESET lines. AFAICT BOSSA does not do anything to get the SAM3X into the SAMBA bootloader, so you would need to modify the source or run a utility to do an erase sequence before running BOSSA.

You could do it with an FTDI chip that has DTR and RTS broken out, like https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11736, or some of the other programmable control lines. FTDI have a DLL to make writing an app quite easy, I’d use C#.