I'm building a small isolated interface board that takes a GPIO output from an Arduino Uno and needs to ultimately drive a 24V digital input on a PLC. I'm using a digital optocoupler (Broadcom ACNT-H61L) for isolation, followed by an NPN transistor stage to step the signal up from the optocoupler's 5V logic output to the PLC's 24V input level. I want to confirm whether this overall topology is electrically sound before I finalize the PCB. Can someone please review the schematic.
The optocoupler I am using needs its own power supply on the output side, so the 5V_Isolated and GND_Isolated are from a separate DC - DC converter. I connected the PLC_GND and GND_Isolated because without them being connected, the loop in PLC Digital Input won't be completed, is that right? However, the optocoupler does isolate the MCU side from the Transistor side.
If you connect grounds, it is not isolated anymore...
No problem, since you seem to want to isolate the left hand side.
Your schematic seems ok. Labeling is not.
An opto without 5V feed would have been an easier choice (but may need inverted logic).
Before discussing whether the grounds should be connected, could you tell us what PLC input you're driving? A part number or the input wiring diagram from the PLC manual would help. PLC digital inputs are implemented in different ways, so whether PLC_GND and GND_Isolated need to be connected depends on how that particular input is referenced.
@build_1971 You're right. In this circuit the common ground is required because the optocoupler output directly drives the NPN transistor base. Without a common reference between GND_Isolated and GND_PLC, the transistor cannot be driven properly. My previous comment was therefore misleading.
PLC DI's are usually externally powered, so your setup looks okay once the grounds are connected, but obviously it wouldn't work if it's an internally powered PLC DI.
The topology is sound but the circuit will never work.
Did you read the opto datasheet?
What is the min and max LED current?
Have you met those requirements?