Using Arduino as ISP programmer trouble..

I have wired up the breadboard as per this example:

got my Arduino..plugged it in..installed drivers.. ran blink sketch to chip through Arduino IDE.. worked fine..

tried to add it to wire it to the bread board..

opened IDE.. chose 328 as bootloader/chip..
chose COM4 (still)
chose ArduinoISP

this is the error I am getting:

avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

anyone help me trouble shoot?

thanks

Did you upload the ArduinoISP sketch?

I believe I did...

I am now thinking it may be the chip..as I popped in another one..
and it seemed to work fine..

my next step/question (after I try the problematic chip again)

is how to 'remotely' upload sketches to the chips on my breadboard..

I know I can use my Arduino Due to flash the bootloader to a chip on my breadboard set-up..

but not sure on how to go about sending sketches to it now that is HAS a bootloader on it?

I know I can always pop chips out of the arduino and into the breadboard..but am looking for another way

I ordered some mobile phone data cables for a FTDI cable..(from china)..but they have NOT arrived yet..

so looking for an alternate method until then. any suggestions?

also.. I have successfully uploaded sketches to my Arduino..

using the blink, blink no delay.. fade... and even the tone generator examples..

any suggestions on where to go from here on my learning curve?

thanks

I know I can always pop chips out of the arduino and into the breadboard..but am looking for another way

It's either that, or still while the chip is out of the arduino, you can just hook up the TX/RX pins on the standalone one with the arduino.

Then just program as normal, after pressing reset on the standalone (to reset and activate the bootloader). (You could try connecting the RESET pins too, but I have never tried it, cant see why I should not work).

Other alternatives are programmers I guess.

Thanks.. yeah I read about leaving the chip out of the real Arduino board..and using the RX/TX to send sketch to chip..

not my first choice..LOL..

I also wasnt clear if that would 'erase/replace' the bootloader (I have read about that several times..usually with parallel programmer though..and lock bits not set perhaps?)

With the FTDI 'cables' I have on order.. (since I have never used them before).. do I just cut the phone side end off..

stick the other USB end into the PC.. and the wires straight to the chip on the breadboard?

Am I correct on this process for how the FTDI cables works?

I 'do' have some MAX232 chips laying around as well I have read people use them in DIY programmers..but not clear if it was to flash bootloader?? or to upload sketches? and if it wrote over the bootloader code or not?