Using arduino to make USB devices wireless

Hi,
I didn’t really knew where to place this topic, so if this is the wrong folder, Sorry!

I have this old USB webcam laying around and I was also looking for a fun arduino project so I though what if I could use the arduino a wire for the webcam. Bassicly what I wan’t to do is use like 2 pins on the arduino to send signals to my computer, using a transistor or something and 2 other pins to the webcam. Then if one of the 2 sends a signal, I pass it to the other 2 pins.

Later if I’ve perfected this, I could use 2 arduino’s to send those signals over some sort of wireless network(Radio, Bluetooth…).
Then I could hook everything up to a Robot, and control everything from behind my laptop :smiley:

Is this possible? Has this ever been done before? And is there some (simple) data on the USB protocol, because I don’t need to know everything, It would just be handy to know who will talk when and how long.

The USB webcam is a USB slave. The Arduino is a USB slave. Slaves don't get to tell other slaves what to do. Somewhere in the mix, you need a USB Master (Host).

Fortunately, sparkfun makes a USB Host shield. Unfortunately, writing device drivers is not trivial. You will need plenty of information from the "old USB webcam" you have.

If you need to ask, this task is probably beyond your skills at this point.

Bassicly what I wan't to do is use like 2 pins on the arduino to send signals to my computer, using a transistor or something and 2 other pins to the webcam. Then if one of the 2 sends a signal, I pass it to the other 2 pins.

Rather than describing how you think this might work, you should be talking about what signals you think the webcam is sending, and what the PC should do in response to those signals, and vice versa.

My idea is [u]not[/u] to use the arduino as a host or slave, but as a wire, just like a king who sends his commands through a messenger, the messenger doesn't order the slave, the king does. And this should be achievable, and I couldn't imagine to be the first one with this idea. It's just a matter of copying demands.