What is Earthing?

Hello, I do not know how i came across this site but there is a video in the link that explains what "Earthing" is and if it is legit.
I figure you guys would know right away if it is B.S or not.
I do understand what they are trying to say that our bodies are constantly positively charged and by wearing shoes outside you are not grounded. Is there any legitimate things that they are saying.
I thought it might be fake because they are selling a "Grounding mat" and there is another video on that page where a lady shows you with a multimeter how to ground yourself with a "grounding mat".

Any thoughts lol. Thanks

It's sometimes important - anywhere where static electricity would be bad. I have worked at a static free workstation with the whole kit - grounded conductive floor mat, workbench and mat, shoes, smock and wrist strap. The North American term for earthing is "grounding".

aarg:
It's sometimes important - anywhere where static electricity would be bad. I have worked at a static free workstation with the whole kit - grounded conductive floor mat, workbench and mat, shoes, smock and wrist strap. The North American term for earthing is "grounding".

Ok do you personally believe there is a health factor to this whole thing or is that part made up?

tjones9163:
Ok do you personally believe there is a health factor to this whole thing or is that part made up?

Ha, ha. I was going to make a joke about "Earthing" sounding like a New Age fad. Now it turns out it isn't a joke. Of course, it's complete nonsense. Well, not completely, since walking barefoot probably is good for you in many other ways.

When I did it (static grounding not walking barefoot :slight_smile: ), it was for the "health" of smartphones, not technicians. Static discharges can damage IC's. The other place I saw this kind of protection was on a petrochemical processing site.

As I said above, "earth" is the British English expression of North American English "ground" in electronics.

aarg:
Ha, ha. I was going to make a joke about “Earthing” sounding like a New Age fad. Now it turns out it isn’t a joke. Of course, it’s complete nonsense. Well, not completely, since walking barefoot probably is good for you in many other ways.

When I did it (static grounding not walking barefoot :slight_smile: ), it was for the “health” of smartphones, not technicians. Static discharges can damage IC’s. The other place I saw this kind of protection was on a petrochemical processing site.

As I said above, “earth” is the British English expression of North American English “ground” in electronics.

but in a way if this static electricity is damaging IC’s, doesnt our brain is like a computer, has there been any science to see what this charge does to out bodies over time?

doesnt our brain is like a computer, has there been any science to see what this charge does to out bodies over time?

No because the static electricity when discharges does not go through the brain.

you personally believe there is a health factor to this whole thing or is that part made up?

Total and utter bollocks.

When I did it there was a definite health benefit. I worked with sensitive energetic materials (explosive powders). Static control is very important in that industry.

hahaha $500 for a starter set.

Notice their disclaimer:

The information in this website is for educational purposes only. It is not medical advice and is not intended to replace the advice of a healthcare professional.
This product technology is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Just drop a wire to the ground from your tin foil hat.

Back in the 60s it was all the rage for cars to have straps dangling from the rear bumper to the road.

It was supposed to stop car sickness, but it didn’t work with me.

Grumpy_Mike:
It was supposed to stop car sickness

Ah yes, I recall that being the "reason" now you mention it

tjones9163:
but in a way if this static electricity is damaging IC's, doesn't our brain is like a computer, has there been any science to see what this charge does to out bodies over time?

The science is in!

Nothing.

The limitation of all this conjecture about static, low frequency (50 or 60 Hz) fields and such is that firstly, the inside of your body is highly conductive so you cannot develop any substantial electric field within it, the body fluid essentially "short circuits" any such static or low frequency field you may apply unless you make sufficiently positive (sic.) connections to it in which case you will generate genuinely harmful currents.

If you stand outside, you can with sufficiently sensitive equipment, detect a substantial static electricity gradient across the span of your height. But inside your insulating skin, you are a conductor, so there is no such internal electricity gradient.

Note also that your nerve and muscle cells (and actually most others) have an internal polarisation - around 70 mV. So if you divide any external voltage by the scale factor of individual cells, the cell's own voltage would be far more than the tiny proportion of a field applied across the whole body.

blomcrestlight:
Back in the 60s it was all the rage for cars to have straps dangling from the rear bumper to the road.

You will still see this on large trucks hauling fuel supplies. Also, watch a fuel truck when they fill the tanks of your gas station. The first thing they do is to connect a ground strap to a ground connection near the filler neck. When you start pumping fuel into the tanks, you do not want a static discharge.

Fueling aircraft is even more critical. Whenever an aircraft is fueling, the fueling operation begins with grounding the aircraft.

Why has the idea of grounding your automobile not been necessary since the '60s? Steel-belted radial tires. The tires have a resistance of only a few megohms, which is enough to discharge any static accumulated while driving. Big truck tires are often not steel-belted, so they still need the ground strap.

tjones9163:
Hello, I do not know how i came across this site but there is a video in the link that explains what “Earthing” is and if it is legit.
I figure you guys would know right away if it is B.S or not.
I do understand what they are trying to say that our bodies are constantly positively charged and by wearing shoes outside you are not grounded. Is there any legitimate things that they are saying.
I thought it might be fake because they are selling a “Grounding mat” and there is another video on that page where a lady shows you with a multimeter how to ground yourself with a “grounding mat”.

Any thoughts lol. Thanks

That site is a load of utter nonsense I’m afraid, complete bullshit, when it comes to electricity. I’m not
saying that walking barefoot isn’t beneficial, its just that its absolutely nothing to do with “earthing”. When
there’s a thunderstorm around the dangers of earthing are real, however - here’s a site that can save your
life: The Best Ways to Protect Yourself in a Thunderstorm - wikiHow

Grumpy_Mike:
It was supposed to stop car sickness, but it didn’t work with me.

No, they prevented build-up of static electricity due to friction in the tyres, which could give you
a hefty zap on stepping out the vehicle. I think most tyres now are conductive enough to prevent
this. Build up on static on a vehicle has caused fires at petrol stations, the largest risk that the
anti-static strips addressed.

The strips are designed to lift up at speed to prevent wearing out, then re-contact the ground as you
slow down - they are only slightly conductive to avoid generating sparks themselves (for instance if you had
a petrol leak that would be bad).

No, they prevented build-up of static electricity due to friction in the tyres

That is as maybe but they were sold on the travel sickness ticket. As a child I was travel sick so my parents got one for me, this was the 50's and it didn't work.

The only cure was to sit in the front seat. We all know why that is now but we didn't then. An even better cure was to do the driving. About 10 years ago I was a passenger in the back seat for a journey and felt quite sick, soI still have it.

Have you tried these kinds of wrist bands? They do wonders for my wife.
https://www.landfallnavigation.com/seasickness-wrist-bands.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImYSbtuCx6AIVFoiGCh058QFqEAQYASABEgJkWvD_BwE

CrossRoads:
Have you tried these kinds of wrist bands? They do wonders for my wife.

But, how do you ground yourself at sea?

aarg:
But, how do you ground yourself at sea?

Conductive shoes? A metal hull is a superb ground. :wink: