Whats up with GOTO command?

Hey I’m an arduino newb and I was wondering why the use of GOTO command is discouraged in C and similar languages. In my opinion it makes the code much more modular and easier to edit specific sections of code. Is there a better way or a reason why the use of goto is discouraged? if there is, is there a way I can enhance this code?

//---------------------------------------int PIN definitions------------------------------------
// THere are 7 LEDs and 3 pushbutton switches, the pushbuttons have harware debouncing circuits so LOW registers when the button is pressed
int SW1 = 11;                          // push-buttons
int SW2 = 12;
int SW3 = 10;

int timer = 75;                        // LED timer
int pins[] = { 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 };  // array of the LED pins
int num_pins = 7;                      // the number of LEDs 
long randomNumber;                     // random number generator                     

//-----------------------------------------Setup------------------------------------------------
void setup()
{
  int i;                            

pinMode (SW1 , INPUT);               // I/O definitions
  pinMode (SW2 , INPUT);
  pinMode (SW3 , INPUT);

for (i = 0; i < num_pins; i++)       // the array elements are numbered from 0 to num_pins - 1
    pinMode(pins[i], OUTPUT);          // set each pin as an output for LEDs    

}
//-----------------------------------------Main Loop------------------------------------------------    
void loop()
{
  // reads 3 pushbuttons for cases then goes to subroutines
  // HIGH = button pressed = 0 , LOW = button not pressed = X

Buttons:
{
  if (digitalRead (SW1) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW2) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW3) == HIGH)    //-----0----0----0------     
  goto LED_1;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == LOW && digitalRead (SW2) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW3) == HIGH)     //-----X----0----0------     
  goto LED_2;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW2) == LOW && digitalRead (SW3) == HIGH)     //-----0----X----0------     
  goto LED_3;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW2) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW3) == LOW)     //-----0----0----X------     
  goto LED_4;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == LOW && digitalRead (SW2) == LOW && digitalRead (SW3) == HIGH)      //-----X----X----0------     
  goto LED_5;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == LOW && digitalRead (SW2) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW3) == LOW)      //-----X----0----X------     
  goto LED_6;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW2) == LOW && digitalRead (SW3) == LOW)      //-----0----X----X------     
  goto LED_7;

if (digitalRead (SW1) == LOW && digitalRead (SW2) == LOW && digitalRead (SW3) == LOW)       //-----X----X----X------     
  goto LED_8;
}  

//-----------------------------------------Subroutines-------------------------------------------------
// These are the LED "subroutines" using the goto statements to come and go to the main loop.

//-----------------------------------------                                                        
LED_1:
  {                                                // Random Lighting
    int i;
    for (i = 0; i < num_pins; i++) 
    {  randomNumber = random(0, 2);
     if (randomNumber == 0)
       digitalWrite (pins[i], LOW);  
       delay(timer);
     if (randomNumber == 1)
       digitalWrite (pins[i], HIGH);     
       delay(timer);
    }
   for (i = num_pins - 1; i >= 0; i--) 
    {  randomNumber = random(0, 2);
     if (randomNumber == 0)
       digitalWrite (pins[i], LOW);  
       delay(timer);
     if (randomNumber == 1)
       digitalWrite (pins[i], HIGH);
        delay(timer);     
    }
goto Buttons;
  }
LED_2:                                      // Move to the Left
  {
     int i; 
    {                                                
      digitalWrite(pins[i] && pins[i+1], LOW);      
      delay(timer);                                 
      digitalWrite(pins[i], HIGH);                  
    }
    { 
      digitalWrite(pins[i], LOW);
      delay(timer);
    } 

goto Buttons;
  }
LED_3:                                     // Cylon lighting
  {
   int i; 
    {                                  
      delay(timer);                   
    }
    { 
      delay(timer);
    } 
goto Buttons;  
  }
LED_4:                                  // Move to the Right
  {
     int i; 
    {                                    
      digitalWrite(pins[i] , LOW);      
      delay(timer);                    
    }
    { 
      digitalWrite(pins[i] && pins[i+1], LOW);
      delay(timer);
    } 

goto Buttons;  
  }
LED_5:                                  // Fill to the Left
  {
     int i; 
    {                                   
      delay(timer);                     

}
    { 
      delay(timer);  
    }
  goto Buttons;
  }
LED_6:                                  // Pocketed Fill
  {
    int i; 

{                                   
      digitalWrite(pins[i++] , LOW);       
      delay(timer);          
            delay(timer/2);          
    }

{ 
      digitalWrite(pins[i--] , HIGH);
      delay(timer);         
            delay(timer/2);          
    }

{ 
      digitalWrite(pins[i--] , LOW);
      delay(timer);         
            delay(timer/2);         
    }

{                                 
      digitalWrite(pins[i++] , HIGH);      
      delay(timer);          
            delay(timer/2);         
    } 
goto Buttons; 
  }
LED_7:  
  {                                      // Fill to the Right
     int i; 
    {                                   
      delay(timer);                     

}
    { 
      delay(timer);  
  }   
goto Buttons;  
  }  
LED_8:                                   // Bouncing Bar
  {
    int i;
    {                                  
      delay(timer);                     
    }  
    {                                   
      delay(timer);  
    }
    { 
      delay(timer);
    }
    { 
      delay(timer);        
   }  
goto Buttons;
  }

}

Hey I'm an arduino newb and I was wondering why the use of GOTO command is discouraged in C and similar languages.

Because it ruins readability and executionflow.

Functions return exectuion to where it was called. goto breaks the flow, and just jumps straight to a label.

In my opinion it makes the code much more modular and easier to edit specific sections of code.

This is even more 'true' if you use functions.

Is there a better way or a reason why the use of goto is discouraged? if there is, is there a way I can enhance this code?

The better way is using functions, and I suggest you convert to using them.

:)

Easily replaced with functions:

while (1) {
 if (digitalRead (SW1) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW2) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW3) == HIGH) {
   led_1();
 }
 if (digitalRead (SW1) == LOW && digitalRead (SW2) == HIGH && digitalRead (SW3) == HIGH) {
   led_2();
 }

/* etc. */
}

Or even cooler:

typedef void (*ledfunc)(void);
static ledfunc funcs[] = {
  led_8, // 000 = LOW LOW LOW
  led_5, // 001 = LOW LOW HIGH
  // etc. 
  led_1  // 111 = HIGH HIGH HIGH
};

void loop()
{
  unsigned char pb;

while (1) {
    pb = ((digitalRead(SW1)==HIGH) ? (1<<2) : 0) |
        ((digitalRead(SW2)==HIGH) ? (1<<1) : 0) |
        ((digitalRead(SW3)==HIGH) ? (1<<0) : 0);
    (*(funcs[pb]))();
   }
}

When several of the newer 'structured' high level languages (C, Pascal, etc) were being popularized in the 70s and 80s, the GOTO was given as the poster child of evil coding practices. In short programs it's not really a big (let alone evil) problem, but can you imagine having to read and understand a 12 page program that someone else wrote with lots of GOTO statements? The results of lots of GOTO statements in a large program lead some to call it "spaghetti code" and held as an example of the evil needing to be rid of.

Today even modern BASIC compilers utilize structured program features such that you have no need to use GOTOs at all. However the same can't be said for assembly language where jump-to-a-label is the equivalent of a GOTO and is not really possible to not utilize it in that language.

Lefty

Code reuse is another good reason not to use GOTO.

By using GOTO and including the LED_1 code as part of the Loop routine, you can't reuse the LED_1 code from another place in the application. That means that in order to do the same work from another routine you would have to rewrite the same code again (or copy / paste it).

Not only does this consume more room on the device, but it leads to doing the work twice, and potentially having to work on the same code in multiple places. This becomes especially painful if you find that there was a small mistake in the LED_1 code, and now you have it copied in 6 places that need to be fixed.

This may seem trivial in such a small app, but it becomes far more important as an app grows.

GOTO is evil, plain and simple >:(

Seriously though you can always write code better without it. You should see your LED sequences as separate functions, not just locations further down in the program. Anything you 'need' to GOTO should probably be a function.

This could be simplified more, but it integrates with what you've already written if you change the goto labels to proper functions

void loop()
{
  int buttonval = 0;

if (digitalRead(SW1) == LOW) buttonval += 1;
  if (digitalRead(SW2) == LOW) buttonval += 2;
  if (digitalRead(SW3) == LOW) buttonval += 4;
  buttonval += 1;

switch (buttonval)
    {
    case 1 : LED_1();  break;
    case 2 : LED_2();  break;
    case 3 : LED_3();  break;
    case 4 : LED_4();  break;
    case 5 : LED_5();  break;
    case 6 : LED_6();  break;
    case 7 : LED_7();  break;
    case 8 : LED_8();  break;
    }
}

Wow that makes way more sense, I was reading up on functions and how they are used but I guess it didn't really make sense to me, I tried to use them in this program too but I messed up with the syntax so I just used goto. Thanks for all the help!

GOTO is evil, plain and simple

Not true.

Seriously though you can always write code better without it.

Also not true, and it depends on what you mean by "better". If by "better" you mean any of "more readable", "faster" or "more efficient" then there are many cases where not using goto will result in "worse" code.

There's a good discussion on this in the lkml (Linux kernel mailing list) archive from 2003. http://kerneltrap.org/node/553/2131

In this particular case, goto shouldn't be used, and it's initial use reflects the O.P.'s inexperience and that's fine, but making unilateral statements about a language feature that is useful in a small subset of problems is unhelpful. A better rule is "don't use goto unless you have exhausted all other language features and goto still looks better"

there are many cases where not using goto will result in "worse" code

Just for the sake of discussion (not trying to argue or anything) can you provide an example or two. This is one of those topics that people love to fight about, but I just like to see how other people think.

This is pretty much the only time I think it should be used (i.e., as a replacement for the structured exception handling in languages like C++/Java/Python/etc.):

int trysomething(void)
{
  char *buf = 0;
  success = 0;

if (do_something() == 0) {
        print_error(1);
        goto fail;
  }

buf = (char *)malloc(100);

if (do_something_else() == 0) {
        print_error(2);
        goto fail;
  }

success = 1;

fail:
  if (buf) free(buf);
  return success;
}

My C is still a little rusty but I would use something like this. Putting the potentially dangerous code in trysomething_internal and using trysomething as a wrapper to report errors and freeing allocated memory.

int trysomething(void)
  {
  char *buf = 0;
  int success = 1;
  int error = trysomething_internal(buf);

if (error != 0)
    {
    success = 0;
    print_error(error);
    }
  if (buf) free(buf);
  return success;
  }

int trysomething_internal(char *buf)
  {
  if (do_something == 0) return 1;
  buf = (char *)malloc(100);
  if (do_something_else() == 0) return 2;
  return 0;
  }

Sure, you never have to use goto and you will always be able to find a way around it. But I would argue that in this case (pseudo exception handling), the single-function top-to-bottom approach with goto is easier to read. No passing buf back and forth, no return codes to remember (and get wrong), etc.

I wonder if the discussion about the use of goto for structured exception handling is out of place in a thread on Arduino syntax.

Arduino users coming across this thread may interpret some of the posts here as endorsing the use of goto in Arduino code. I would expect that all the above posters would agree that anyone seeking advice about syntax would be best advised to stay well away from goto.

Well I would argue that if there is a function, feature, or structure built into C, then there is very likely a time or place where it might very well be the best method available.

Misapplying or abusing a tool is not the fault of the tool nor does it justify throwing the tool away. It's the person using the tool that determines if it's the proper use of the tool. GOTO is simply a tool to use effectively or not, based on the skill of the programmer using it.

I would think that the world of computer programing would be one of the last places that would preach dogma (GOTO == evil, never use). But then again we all know that Windows is evil also ;)

Lefty

Lefty, the point is not about dogma, its that this forum is for Arduino (which, according the the home page is intended for artists, designers, hobbyists). IMO, discussions on arcane usage of C does not serve the arduino user looking for help and advice on syntax, and seems more appropriate for threads in technical forums like avrfreaks.

mem;

I understand and respect your point. It's just I would think doing "what's best for someone" can at some point be seen somewhat condencending at times. The extended reference ( http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Goto ) has a good definition and example of using GOTO and even discusses the merits and pitfalls of using it as we have been discussing here for the OP.

So it's in the C language, it's in the Arduino reference, but for begineers we should treat it like the crazy aunt we keep in the basement and not mention her? ;)

Lefty

It isn't condescending to advise newcomers to avoid techniques that are potentially troublesome (whether they are in the reference material or not).

I may be beating this point to death, but would you agree that its not helpful to the novice programmer struggling to learn how to use functions in a simple sketch, to see expert opinions on using goto in structured exception handling.

A good part of the appeal of Arduino is that it hides all that ugly stuff we engineers love to wrestle with.

Sure, you never have to use goto and you will always be able to find a way around it. But I would argue that in this case (pseudo exception handling), the single-function top-to-bottom approach with goto is easier to read. No passing buf back and forth, no return codes to remember (and get wrong), etc.

I wouldn't call it pseudo exception handling, it's not that robust and still vulnerable to deeper errors, it's just a wrapper function.

In this short example, there isn't much difference, but as you add more things to be done within the code then the goto example would become increasingly more difficult to follow. In either example you need to remember the error codes.

Another thing to remember it's not just how you look at the code, but that other people might have to (or yourself months later). When you use a goto, the reader has to jump through the labels to get an understanding of what a function really does. By putting essential elements into functions (and naming them appropriately) it's much easier to look at the code and determine quickly what it does.

I wonder if the discussion about the use of goto for structured exception handling is out of place in a thread on Arduino syntax.

This thread is called Whats up with GOTO command?.

I do not think it is out of place to discuss the GOTO. It is a part of c, and thus a part of Arduino. And, I do think that it has been quite a heavy emphasis on why not to use the GOTO.

Misapplying or abusing a tool is not the fault of the tool nor does it justify throwing the tool away.

I very much agree.

GOTO is still around... plain and simple. If it were truly EVIL, it would be gone.

But, how about an analogy...

If you can hammer in a nail with a ROCK you will still get the nail hammered in... but if you had a hammer nearby... why use the ROCK? Well, human nature... somebody will insist a ROCK is easier. ;)

There may even be cases where using a GOTO will let you produce LESS code and that can be good for the limited Arduino code space.

The question should not be "What's up with it?" but rather "is it the best choice?" when using it in your code. It's your code and if it becomes "spaghetti" as a result of GOTO's... you'll be the one untangling the mess in the future.