Where do you connect "Shield" pins on USB port

I'm including a USB port on a data logger board I'm building, but I'm not clear where the "shield" pins on the USB connector should be routed. I've read some things that say connecting them to ground is fine, others that say that only hosts should have their shield connected to ground (but no indication of how a client device should be wired), and others say to use an RC filter to ground.

but I'm not clear where the "shield" pins on the USB connector should be routed.

Can you explain more what you mean? On the face of it that comment makes no sense because a shield is a circuit board that fits over the Arduino and there are no pins on the Arduino that are capable of being connected directly to a USB connector. Are you wanting a USB host or client?

It will be a client device. And I’m not referring to the USB shield breakout board, on the USB connector pinout in Eagle, the two large holes on either end that are for the connector housing are labeled “shield” (it’s not labeled on this schematic, but to show you what I’m talking about):

The USB documentation also references shield connections. Sorry I don’t have a picture of what I’m talking about, I can upload one when I’m back at home.

Thanks, that makes more sense. It is just that in the Arduino world a shield means a circuit board with a circuit on it.
What you are talking about is more often referred to as a screen or case.

This should be connected to the common ground signal.

My gut says, do not to connect the shield to GND.
i.e. +5 to +5, GND to GND and shield to shield.

But I do have gut problems :frowning:

On most systems I have used it is connected to the ground. Measure your own Arduino and see.

The shield is connected to GND in the computer, but if this is used in between two cables I think it be best to use shield to shield.
Supposedly, the shield is needed to stop emi from bring emitted from the USB cable, and not carry current.
Suggesting connection at one end only to ground.
Hard to do if two devices are each connected to ground.

This matches what's in the USB documentation, but if the shield on a client isn't connected to ground, then where? Do I just short the two shield pins to each other?

Do I just short the two shield pins to each other?

No because they are already connected together by the metal work.

but if the shield on a client isn't connected to ground, then where?

Just leave them unconnected.

Roger that. Thank you for the help!