Where to start?

Hello there!

I’m new to this and unsure of where to start. I would like to find out if I can get a laser pointer to work from a wireless push button? I saw where I can have the push button/ laser all hooked up together but I’d like to be able to get the laser to come on by pushing a button when I’m not nearby. Does anyone have advice to where to start with that? Thanks so much! Looking forward to learning all I can!

Start by buying an Arduino board and one of the many starter kits then experiment with it

What is your programming and electronics experience ?

On eBay you can find plenty of remote control transmitter/ receiver pairs.

If simple on/ off control is all you require, you do not need an Arduino at all.

Assuming that you would like to do something more useful eventually, doing this with an Arduino is not such a bad idea to start with. If you have an Android phone, you might use that to transmit to a plain-vanilla Uno via an HC-05 bluetooth module. I'm sure I have seen bare laser modules around, and there may be some specifically made for use with Arduino.

Nick_Pyner:
I'm sure I have seen bare laser modules around, and there may be some specifically made for use with Arduino.

Basic ones - red - with the 91 Ohm resistor draw about 25 mA at 5 V which is manageable from an Arduino output pin.

I got a 10 pack of laser modules like below and they operated ok from an arduino pin.

Yep, they would have the 91 Ohm ("910") resistor.