Which Brushless Motor/ESC to start with?

Hello everyone, Arduino newbie here :slight_smile:
I want to build a quad copter(Such as the ArduCopter project) sometime in the future but for now I want to learn how to work with an Arduino and a motor before I buy expensive equipment.
What Brushless Motor and ESC would you recommend to start with? I’ve read that controlling an ESC can be tricky(With the arming procedure and all) so I’d prefer something with good documentation.
Regarding the physical aspects, I’d like a reliable motor/ESC and to be able to reach ~1000g of thrust at full throttle.

I’m going to buy it online(Probably from hobbyking or ebay) should it matter.

I would ask you to goto an aviation forum specialized in helis. The ESC's change design constantly. The RC heli pilots would have a better scoop on the best ESC for a quad copter.

Yes, a more specific R/C or quadcoper type forum is likely to give you better more specific information. For instance your thrust requirement would need to include the prop size you wish to use which is in turn depended on size your model can handle. Once that is determined then that dictates the rpm rating needed for motor selection and current requirement, which then dictates the ESC size you need. It can be be quite the catch 22 trying to nail down all the interdependent specs and requirements, so that is why you are best asking at a more specific forum that deals with such things. If this is your first attempt at a quadcoper you may be better off going with a kit system, or at least copying a setup and design known to work well for begineers. Designing from scratch is adding extra burden for a begineer.

Good luck;

Lefty

The low-cost and power of the brushless DC motors used in models today and their light weight is very attractive. The ability to control their speed and (in many cases) direction with traditional Servo outputs to a low-cost ESC (Electronic Speed Control) is also attractive.

Can anyone point to some Arduino-based uses of these motors in Robotics or other non-model applications?

I want to evaluate some of these low-cost parts...

Brushless motors are excellent in propulsion roles, direct or indirect drive. A brushless motor is a 3 phase syncronous AC motor and supports the same slow but accurate positioning of a traditional stepper motor, provided a suitable ESC is driving the motor.

One caution is most R/C brushless motors can have pretty high peak current requirements, requireing good batteries (or strong power supplies if stationary) , Li-po with good C ratings are the normal match up.

Lefty

Yes as most small brushless motors are actually capable of 360Watts of power or more. Fixed wing flight rule of thumb is 166W per pound of aircraft.

ajofscott:
Brushless motors are excellent in propulsion roles, direct or indirect drive. A brushless motor is a 3 phase syncronous AC motor and supports the same slow but accurate positioning of a traditional stepper motor, provided a suitable ESC is driving the motor.

All the RC brushless motors I’ve seen have no hall sensors and do not support slow rotation. Engineering grade brushless motors have hall sensors and do support slow rotation, but these are bigger, heavier, run cooler, have lower power densities, cost vastly more. RC motors have incredible power-to-weight ratios, but need forced cooling, and high-current supply and ESC.