why do these exsist?

i notice on ebay they tend to have some very useless items for us to use like how about this thing that is both useless and very un needed. (also why does the button have 3 pins, only 2 are really needed, power and ground the imput_pullup can be used in code.) if you guys have anything else that's silly and ridiculous that you find shopping feel free to share links.

I can only think the push button module is to use with a solderless breadboard. I HATE using those tactile buttons on a breadboard! If (and that's a big if) they go into the holes at all, give them a press or two and bwoip! out thy pop. What I'd rather see is a switch with pins designed to use either with a breadboard, or on a through-hole soldered perf board. Straight pins that do not spring the thing outa there.

Wanna see unnecessary though, look in the Hardware forum for the voltage divider. It's got 5 pins - 2 input, and 3 output. But two of the output pins are literally the same as the input pins. The board has two resistors - just like a regular voltage divider with two resistors! But the board has "voltage sensor" written on it. And a socket for ... what, an 8 position switch, or maybe a mil-spec opamp? Something.

Cause their wonderful idea was not so great. Now they got to sell to get their money back.

Hi,
There's now only 5 available, better get some before they sell out and become expensive.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

The tac switch modules are useful for panel mounting on a prototype.

I'll bet the 'voltage sensor' was intended to have a multi-position switch with multiple resistors giving a range of output ratios. Perhaps the boards were made incorrectly, or maybe a special customer needed a part to fix something on another board.

I was wanting to get a rail-to-rail opamp that could handle 100ma. I found a board that used the LMV358 dual opamp and bought it. I thought the onboard pot would adjust the gain or something. Nope. The gain is fixed at 100. I don't know what the pot does, it doesn't change the gain. I'm sure it this board must do something more useful, but I don't know what:

Hi,
This is what brenden_nerd is referring to:

I can see myself prototyping with them, but I'd glue a row of them on bit of board and use the female protoboard leads to connect to them.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
This is what brenden_nerd is referring to:

I can see myself prototyping with them, but I'd glue a row of them on bit of board and use the female protoboard leads to connect to them.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Cool. Then it would be simple to make something like the instrument dude pulls out of his pocket in the original video for da da da.

brenden_nerd_:
i notice on ebay they tend to have some very useless items for us to use like how about this thing that is both useless and very un needed.

Retailers have been selling useless and un-needed things since before money was invented. Think about women's fashions, for instance? Or new cars, or new kitchens.

Don't single out some poor divil on Ebay trying to make a few bucks.

...R

Robin2:
Retailers have been selling useless and un-needed things since before money was invented. Think about women's fashions, for instance? Or new cars, or new kitchens.

Don't single out some poor divil on Ebay trying to make a few bucks.

...R

Very few things people who post on the internet about recreational electronics is an actual need.

ChrisTenone:
I can only think the push button module is to use with a solderless breadboard. I HATE using those tactile buttons on a breadboard! If (and that's a big if) they go into the holes at all, give them a press or two and bwoip! out thy pop. What I'd rather see is a switch with pins designed to use either with a breadboard, or on a through-hole soldered perf board. Straight pins that do not spring the thing outa there.

Wanna see unnecessary though, look in the Hardware forum for the voltage divider. It's got 5 pins - 2 input, and 3 output. But two of the output pins are literally the same as the input pins. The board has two resistors - just like a regular voltage divider with two resistors! But the board has "voltage sensor" written on it. And a socket for ... what, an 8 position switch, or maybe a mil-spec opamp? Something.

I know what you mean with the buttons they pop out really easily... they do have buttons with only 2 pins that I have gotten in the past there are kind of scarce though... in the past ive also seen led modules that just seem completely useless. as they have 3 pins.(power ground and the digital on and off pin)

ChrisTenone:
I HATE using those tactile buttons on a breadboard! If (and that's a big if) they go into the holes at all, give them a press or two and bwoip! out thy pop. What I'd rather see is a switch with pins designed to use either with a breadboard...

You need the right kind. If you're interested I will dig up a reference.

Yes!!

I have resorted to soldering pins onto those little springy legs. A product that just works would be great!

Thank you.

brenden_nerd_:
I know what you mean with the buttons they pop out really easily... they do have buttons with only 2 pins that I have gotten in the past there are kind of scarce though... in the past ive also seen led modules that just seem completely useless. as they have 3 pins.(power ground and the digital on and off pin)

Usually, I cut off two of the pins (either diagonal.) It works better, but still not perfect.

ChrisTenone:
Yes!!

According to my notes, this is what I use...
https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=KSA0M311LFT

If you want confirmation let me know. I will have to dig through my parts cabinet to find the original packaging.

C&K has other options with that footprint (more force, longer travel). Those are low force, short travel, guaranteed 1,000,000 cycles. The narrow long 0.3" spaced pins fit perfectly in a breadboard. I have never had one come out on its own including a few times I have dropped a breadboard to the floor.

Not all pushbuttons like that work. They are also sold with an even metric footprint (7.5mm). That 0.12 mm makes a big difference. Two of the well known online hobbyist electronics vendors sell the smaller ones. They advise the consumer to straighten the pins with pliers. Bullshit. They still pop out.

ChrisTenone:
Usually, I cut off two of the pins (either diagonal.) It works better, but still not perfect.

here is one ive seen these with shorter pins before but right now they don't pop up http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-6x6x4mm-Momentary-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-2-Pin-DIP-Through-LW-SZUS-/181931636449?hash=item2a5bf876e1:g:DQkAAOSwEgVWTzqF

Look at the longer legged 2-pin versions here. Cut the legs to length so they're not all wobbly on the breadboard.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/switches/tactile-switches/1114206?k=tactile&k=&pkeyword=tactile&pv567=19&FV=fff40011%2Cfff8005e%2C1140050&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Those look better CB. The legs appear longer and less crimped. What is the purpose of the bent legs anyway, why not just use straight legs like ... any other component, at all!

Here's the best breadboard switch I have. It's a slide switch, not a pushbutton, so I tend to design around that. But it's small, easy to move, and reliable (I don't know the mtbf, it feels sturdy.)

The legs are exactly 0.10 inch apart.

ChrisTenone:
What is the purpose of the bent legs anyway, why not just use straight legs like ... any other component, at all!

Hold it to the PCB during automated soldering. Also handy for hand soldering.

yeah I can say having bent pins is very useful when you go to solder the board all together.... I would show an image of a completed project but I don't have anywhere to put the image :confused: