Wii to SATA converter

I'd like to make a way to convert the output of a Nintendo Wii's disk drive (Such as this) to a SATA or USB port for use with a computer.

The end goal is to write the disk data to a disk image file (.iso most likely).

Here is the Wii's pinout (left) and the connector on the DVD drive itself (right) (found these here)
Also, I'm not sure if this is exactly the right ribbon cable to hijack and take the output from (I believe there are two on the drive), but it's the only pinout I could find :confused:

So, is this a kind of converter/adapter I could build with Arduino? I know it would probably run at a pitiful speed because of the slow nature of most microcontrollers, but maybe it's worth a try.

Thanks for your help!

why not homebrew it and use the already there SD card?

I'll have to ask, if you are here, asking if an Arduino can do the job, you're over your head here.

It can be done with a fast FPGA and some insight, as has been done before.

8-bit micro ? No...

// Per.

Even if you could make an adapter that works, the copy protection would keep you from using any of the data anyway.

wizdum:
Even if you could make an adapter that works, the copy protection would keep you from using any of the data anyway.

yup, everything is signed, and without it your going to get an error message and nothing else

Zapro:
I'll have to ask, if you are here, asking if an Arduino can do the job, you're over your head here.

It can be done with a fast FPGA and some insight, as has been done before.

8-bit micro ? No...

// Per.

Thank you, this is what I wanted to know. :slight_smile: