win8 pro mini w/ftdi: not in sync issue

I'm running windows 8 with Arduino 1.0.6 downloading to an Arduino Pro Mini 5v (I have no idea if it's 328 or 168 but it doesn't work in either case).

I have a SolarBotics TTLy FTDI adapter going from the usb cable to the pro mini.

When I plug in the cable, the green light on the FTDI adapter lights up.

When I attempt to send a sketch to the arduino, one of two things happen:

1) The red and blue buttons blink frantically for a few seconds 2) The blue light comes on and the red light blinks slowly about six times

In any case, it ends with the "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" error.

I have checked the forums. I have tried this on multiple machines, mac and PC. I'm sure it's the right port--it's the only port on this machine. I've updated serial drivers, I do not have any of the pins attached to anything except the FTDI driver. I have reset several times. In short, I'm stumped.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.

Further information: there does not seem to be any consistency as to which of the two options above will happen, but if I turn on verbose mode they both have the same result:

Binary sketch size: 1,082 bytes (of a 30,720 byte maximum) C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -carduino -P\.\COM3 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\build4179481477436376234.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \.\COM3 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 57600 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Recv: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

OK, I figured it out this morning. Turns out I didn't have the pinouts from the FTDI going to the proper pins on the mini. Went through and matched everything up properly and it was a lot happier.