Windows 4k Display Issue

Hello all,

I’ve just upgraded my laptop and now have a 4k Dell machine. I installed the Arduino IDE with no issues however upon opening, the splash screen displays the size of a postage stamp. The IDE when loaded, isn’t much bigger!

I have adjusted the DPI rating within Windows although nothing seems to make it usable at all.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I see some notes online about rebuilding from source with an extra tag in the plist.info file although this looks to be OS X only?

At the moment it’s completely unusable - so any help/suggestions are welcome!

It sounds like a screen resolution issue, not DPI. Is this Windows 8?

It is a Windows 8.1 machine. I will try to get a screenshot up to better illustrate the issue.

OK, The screenshot is here : Screenshot

The screen resolution is 3840 x 2160. I am running the Custom Sizing thing at 250% in the above screenshot although I've dropped that back to 200% now.

I hope that helps to explain it a little more.

If anyone has any ideas, please do feel free to comment!

By default Arduino opens at a ludicrously small (if you have a decently-high-resolution screen) size. It's bad on my 1440p monitor (not even great on 1080p), and as you are seeing, it is even worse on 4K.

Solution: edit preferences.txt to open the window to a much larger default size. (Find this file by going to file->preferences, and click on the link near the bottom - close Arduino before re-saving the actual .txt file though!)

The entries you care about: editor.window.height.default=600 editor.window.width.default=500

DPI scaling only seems to work on the font size, not the window size for Arduino on Windows (on many-though not all- other programs I use the window size scales too)

Thanks, I’ll have a look at those settings. Hopefully there might be some way to set the font size to be larger too.

Thanks again for the tip!

alexhitchins: Hopefully there might be some way to set the font size to be larger too.

Windows' DPI scaling is what I use. I never looked for that option in preferences until now. But it is there, in roughly the same area in the file:

editor.font=Monospaced,plain,12

I tested, and it works as expected, at least for font size.

madmattd: But it is there, in roughly the same area in the file:

editor.font=Monospaced,plain,12

I tested, and it works as expected, at least for font size.

Awesome! Will give that a go. Thanks again for the help.