Wiring a dc motor with built in encoder

Hello everyone. Recently I’ve got a dc motor from an old stuff market . Apparently it was salvaged from a printer . It has a built in optical encoder , and i want to control it using arduino . But i didnt found any datasheet about it so I can understand the 6 pin on it . Can anyone please help me understand those 6 pin so I can wire the motor.

That is a fine optical encoder.

Can you find any datasheet for the actual optical unit that's looking at the disc? That will tell you which pin is which and you can then follow those tracks across the PCB. If you find one that looks identical then I would bet that the pins are identical.

A good photo of the PCB might help work out the pinout for the encoder and motor winding. Note such encoders are
very fragile and should be encased if possible when used to keep dust and crud out.

Thanks for replying. I didn’t find Any datasheet about this encoder , there is only a reference on the optical switch : N18-6146 . I google it ,but nothing found. Here is a first photo of the pcb , it’s not clear since it is soldered with the motor and the opto switch . I will use a soldering iron to get a clear view and post the photo

Not surprised you cannot find a data sheet on the motor. Looking at the Beuhler web site, they pride themselves on making custom devices for many different equipment manufacturers.

The name looked familiar to me. I think we had to replace the theta motor on one of our pick-and-place machines and it was made by Beuhler. The theta motor rotates a component to match the orientation of the pad on a printed circuit board. So it needs to move very accurately and sometimes just a tiny bit and stay there.

My motor had brushes and they had worn out. I think the cost of the replacement was $150, or so. By the time I saw the motor, the tech already had the new one installed, so I couldn't see if it had an encoder like the one in the picture, but seems likely.

So, your motor may or may not be a standard DC motor.

Paul

Zouhairs:
Thanks for replying. I didn't find Any datasheet about this encoder , there is only a reference on the optical switch : N18-6146 . I google it ,but nothing found. Here is a first photo of the pcb , it's not clear since it is soldered with the motor and the opto switch . I will use a soldering iron to get a clear view and post the photo

I wouldn't solder anything, you risk damaging the encoder disc and then you'll have a piece of useless junk.

Buzz-out the motor connections carefully, I'm pretty sure one goes to the solitary pin of the 6, figuring out
which of the encoder connections is ground is probably a case of following any ground-plane if there
is one.

When you don't know which pins are power (here probably just an IR LED), apply power at 5V via a 2k
resistor or so and see what voltage each pin rises to, an IR LED is about 1.4V forward biased roughly.
Because the current is limited by the resistor you shouldn't cause damage to the output photodiodes.

Thank you guys for your replies and advises. Fortunately I didn't desolder any components cause it may damage the optical sensor as you said . I've found a wonderfull guide to identify any optical sensors pins using a multimeter on this website : Transmissive optical sensors - HomoFaciens . I hope this will help those having the same issue

Hi, i have the same motor as you!! if you are still there i hope you can help me with the pinout
Thankyou!!