wiring a one pole 3 throw slide switch

I've just bought a one pole 3 throw slide switch for a project but can't seem to find any documentation as to wiring it to an Arduino. The termini are prewired as shown in photo.

Thanks in advance for any elucidation.

Wire the common pin to GND, and the other pins to input pins, configured as INPUT_PULLUP

Documentation for a switch?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Do you have a DMM?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Now here's a problem!

That ribbon cable has five wires! :astonished:

Paul: Maybe one is originally for grounding the case of the switch?

johnty57:
a one pole 3 throw slide switch

I think you'll find that type of switch is generally known as "single pole, double throw, centre off".

Please show a photo of the back of the PCB - it's where the actual switch connections are.

johndg:
I think you'll find that type of switch is generally known as "single pole, double throw, centre off".

Unlikely.

This is a slide switch, it certainly has three positions as the detents are visible, and as I pointed out, there are more than the three wires that one would expect for a centre off switch. :astonished:

Yes, the fifth wire may be the frame if it is used to switch analog signals such as audio.

Slide switches normally connect together two adjacent terminals in each detented position.

johnty57:
I've just bought a one pole 3 throw slide switch for a project but can't seem to find any documentation as to wiring it to an Arduino. The termini are prewired as shown in photo.

Thanks in advance for any elucidation.

Can you post a link to to where you purchased the switch?
Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

If it hs three positions it cannot be a single pole switch and for he record if has only one pole it cannot possibly be a switch because thevtem switch implies at least two contacts.

raschemmel:
If it hs three positions it cannot be a single pole switch and for he record if has only one pole it cannot possibly be a switch because thevtem switch implies at least two contacts.

Beg to differ. See RS Components entry for a PCB Slide Switch Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) On-Off-On.

Oh , opps , you’re right. What was I thinking?
Oh dear !
That was a brain glitch. I must be getting old.

raschemmel:
I must be getting old.

Aren't we all?

Ahhh, my crystal ball just started working!
It shows DPDT type, break-before-make, middle 2 pins (common) connected to red wire, other 4 pins connected to remaining 4 wires.

Hi,
Like this;

DPDT_SlideSwitch.jpg
Tom... :slight_smile:

DPDT_SlideSwitch.jpg

herbschwarz:
Slide switches normally connect together two adjacent terminals in each detented position.

Some do, others do not.

johndg:
Beg to differ. See RS Components entry for a PCB Slide Switch Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) On-Off-On.

But the one in the OP clearly is not, as there are five connections. Of course, the OP is now MIA and unable to show us the obverse. :roll_eyes:

And when you post a link, please do not click the "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs" checkbox; this is a bit of a nuisance for people trying to follow the links on a PC. (OK, may be appropriate for tablets where you use the "back" button all the time. :sunglasses: )

I know it already occurred to everyone that this mystery could be solved in five minutes with an ohmeter.

Or my last comment. This is an orphan thread; the OP has left us to squabble over it.

The photo of the other side of the PCB which was supposed to be included in the OP would pretty much resolve the matter. :roll_eyes: