Wiring relay with AC water pump

Hey everybody…I’m doing the Self-Watering Plant from http://www.instructables.com/id/Self-Watering-Plant/?ALLSTEPS and I came to a road block on wiring the AC powered water pump to the relay.

I wanted to see if anyone could identify the pins on my Relay (JZC-11F 005-1Z 5VDC), like which is the Normally Closed and Normally Opened? And also, if anyone could explain how would I go about wiring the AC water pump to the breadboard?

Background Info

1. This is my first time working with AC power in a project
    I understand the safety precautions of working with AC, so if anyone has anything important to suggest, including the obvious…please let me know. I have done research but I’m not quite sure how much is enough. I also don’t want to deter from this challenge because I feel like I could learn a lot from this execution.

2. This is my first time working with a relay
    I understand the pins are Relay coil pins, Normally Closed, Normally Opened, and Common.
    I do not understand which wire should go to what pin.
    I do not understand what wires would go to the Relay coil pins and are either of the Relay coil pins positive or negative, or does it even work like that
    I do not understand what the Common pin does.
    I do understand that a “flyback” diode is suggested and why it is important…is this between the two Relay coil pins?

I will be using a 9v battery for one of the breadboard rails.

I really appreciate the help and I hope others can learn from this post too.

I do not understand which wire should go to what pin.
I do not understand what wires would go to the Relay coil pins and are either of the Relay coil pins positive or negative, or does it even work like that
I do not understand what the Common pin does.

Stand near a wall.
Face the wall.
Place one hand on the wall and extend the other hand over the wall about 3 inches away from the wall.
Now pretend you are the RELAY.
You body is the COMMON
Your left hand touching the wall is the NC (Normally Closed) because it is making contact with the wall.
Your right hand is the NO (Normally Open) because it is NOT making contact with the wall.
Now on the count of three, pull your LEFT hand away from the wall and place your RIGHT hand ON the wall and say “CLICK”
You have just been energized and now the hand that WAS NO is NOW making contack and the current is flowing through that hand , through your body (the COMMON) and into the solenoid.

Does that help ?
Next time we’ll play the motor game…

I do understand that a “flyback” diode is suggested and why it is important…is this between the two Relay coil pins?

NO. THE FLYBACK DIODE GOES ACROSS THE LOAD (SOLENOID OR MOTOR) WITH THE CATHODE (BANDED END) CONNECTED TO THE +Voltage (Motor or solenoid power supply) and the other end connected to the other terminal of the motor or solenoid.
All you really need know is that this diode protects any transistors , or relay contacts, or mosfets, that are switching the motor or solenoid by shorting the back EMF to ground. (back EMF is the reverse current that occurs when any inductive device , be it motor or solenoid is de-energized. This is really not the place for discussion of magnetic theory so let’s just leave it that.

I wanted to see if anyone could identify the pins on my Relay (JZC-11F 005-1Z 5VDC), like which is the Normally Closed and Normally Opened?

The pins are identified in the Bottom View of the relay on the last page of the attached datasheet.
The coil is the two pins that look like they have a resistor connected (that symbol represents the coil) and the Normally Open contact is the one that is not touching the COMMON in the diagram. The NC is the one touching the Common .

And also, if anyone could explain how would I go about wiring the AC water pump to the breadboard?

We should postpone the discussion of this until you have posted a photo of the pump and it’s wires.

I also don’t want to deter from this challenge because I feel like I could learn a lot from this execution.

We’re hoping you won’t be executed…
Try to pay attention to the instructions and you should be ok.

I will be using a 9v battery for one of the breadboard rails.

Why ? For what ?

JZC-11F-05VDC-1Z EN.pdf (53.7 KB)

working with AC is pretty easy.

first, get one of these
http://bblmedia.com/home_defibrillator.html
make sure your wife/friend/parent knows how to use it.

then instead of doing ANY live AC wiring, use a doorbell transformer and use LED's don't worry, LED's can survive in AC enviroments.

instead of a fuse, take a regular light bulb. wire that in series with the output of the transformer. then use that for your work.

if you can turn on an LED, you can turn on other things like a fan or motor.

if that incandescent light bulb lights up, you have a dead short and instead of you getting burnt, or electrocuted. that light tells you to be more careful.

if the light goes on more than 3 times,
then go here

We are full of helpful tips.... XD

(the OP is probably thinking "OMG, I'm putting my life in their hands and they're having a field day rolling on the floor LOL ! XD)

raschemmel:
We are full of helpful tips.... XD

(the OP is probably thinking "OMG, I'm putting my life in their hands and they're having a field day rolling on the floor LOL ! XD)

I am the FIRST to tell a guy to go ahead and use an AC motor and tie that relay into the mains.

however, when I a concerened that the guy is not sure of what side of the resistor to connect to the LED.... I get concerned.

seriously. ANY project that a newby is trying out CAN be done with low voltage AC, a bell transformer, a regular incandescent light and LED's.

the light going off is the clue that two things happened.
#1) a mistake was made
#2) the listening to the advise to use the light was the smartest thing he did.

once the fundamentals are understood, moving up to live power should be done in a well thought out orchestrated manner.

"I do not understand what the Common pin does."
scares the daylights out of me.

don't be the bear.

"I do not understand what the Common pin does." scares the daylights out of me.

Yeah, I thought the same thing . I had to restrain myself from going ALL CAPS...

raschemmel:

"I do not understand what the Common pin does." scares the daylights out of me.

Yeah, I thought the same thing . I had to restrain myself from going ALL CAPS...

"I do understand that a "flyback" diode is suggested and why it is important...is this between the two Relay coil pins?

all I can see is that bear shaking off the jolts it is getting.

to the OP

PLEASE USE 5V DC AND LED's

FIGURE OUT HOW THE RELAY WORKS.

TEST, READ, TEST, READ

once you really understand how the relay works, you many not have as many questions.

your own safety and life is based on your knowledge.

don't be the bear, rushing up the pole.

don't be the bear, rushing up the pole. !

I made some signs at work that say the above and put them near the 280vac terminal blocks in the production area.