WS2801 5m Strip with Arduino Uno

Hi Everyone,
Looking for some help trying to hookup my ambient lighting. I was using the Adalight method to start this out since I am running it directly from my computer, but my LED strip isn’t lighting up correctly.
I have Arduino Uno, WS2801 5m, 5V 10A PSU, from the input end: strip CK connected pin 13, strip SI connected to pin 11, GND to GND. There are separate 5v and GND wires connected to the same place as the connector which I have connected to a female adapter +/- to my PSU.

The LED strip is supposed to light up R/B/G before going blank and following the Processing code. Only the first 9 lights will flash R/G/B, the 10th and 11th will stay solid White and get really hot quickly. Sometimes parts of the rest of the strip will light up random colors, sometimes it won’t.

I have additionally tried an external power to the Arduino, just because I had power issues with previous projects in the past and figured it couldn’t hurt.

To my knowledge the WS2801 strip should only be powered from the INPUT end and be able to power the entire strip, a friend used the same strip with a Pi and only powered from the Input with the same PSU.

I’ve attached a few photos, any help would be appreciated.

f1363aa9eafe8e718a3b2c6586a4361ea50add2a.jpg

b366c8d90a0f78f95c885c8f098723da05bc839d.jpg
I can’t see the Arduino! And it’s too dark to see much. You need to take it outside in good daylight to take photos.

Keelouna:
Only the first 9 lights will flash R/G/B, the 10th and 11th will stay solid White and get really hot quickly. Sometimes parts of the rest of the strip will light up random colors, sometimes it won’t.

Pixels not working is one thing, but getting hot is bad!

Keelouna:
I have additionally tried an external power to the Arduino, just because I had power issues with previous projects in the past and figured it couldn’t hurt.

The capacity and regulation of the power supply and the layout of the wiring will be the most important. Obviously, you connect your regulated 5 V power supply to 5 V on the Arduino not “Vin”.

Keelouna:
To my knowledge the WS2801 strip should only be powered from the INPUT end and be able to power the entire strip, a friend used the same strip with a Pi and only powered from the Input with the same PSU.

That would be completely wrong! The LED strips are not capable of carrying significant current. You need to “tee” in a sturdy power bus cable (the stuff used for house wiring would be a start, or the heavier form of speaker cable) every metre or so, so that feeds power both backward and forward.

Sorry, it would not let me upload all of the pictures previously. I do not have 5v directly from strip to arduino, it wasnt needed in the adalight instructions. All of the power is coming from the external psu, the power I’m talking about for the arduino is for the plug beside the USB port, not any pinouts.
I thought I might have to wire my psu to several points along the strip but did not want to start cutting and soldering until I had more reason to belief it to be correct. Would 22gauge solid wire be sufficient for this task?

Keelouna:
Sorry, it would not let me upload all of the pictures previously. I do not have 5v directly from strip to arduino, it wasnt needed in the adalight instructions. All of the power is coming from the external psu, the power I'm talking about for the arduino is for the plug beside the USB port, not any pinouts.
I thought I might have to wire my psu to several points along the strip but did not want to start cutting and soldering until I had more reason to belief it to be correct. Would 22gauge solid wire be sufficient for this task?

There are pads on the strip where you can solder wires from your power supply.
I use 24 gauge stranded because that is what I bought at Radio Shack.

ieee488:
There are pads on the strip where you can solder wires from your power supply.
I use 24 gauge stranded because that is what I bought at Radio Shack.

I tried running some wires to the pads from the psu, to several points along the strip, nothing changed on the LEDs.

Keelouna:
I tried running some wires to the pads from the psu, to several points along the strip, nothing changed on the LEDs.

I don't know what you mean by "following the Processing code".

You should be using known good code to verify that your strip is working not your unproven code.

ieee488:
I don't know what you mean by "following the Processing code".

You should be using known good code to verify that your strip is working not your unproven code.

Meaning it flashes as a test, as per the code, and then it's supposed to use processing to output the correct sequence to the LEDs, which it does not. It is all code from adalight, not my own code..