Xbee series 2 firmware upgrading with x-ctu

Xbee series 2 firmware upgrading with x-ctu

I googled around for some info and tutorials on getting them up and running, but so far no luck. First I just tried to run some sample code to see if they work out of box but got absolutely nothing. Then I tried sending some commands over the serial port to get to command mode, and still nothing. Then I tried to follow the tutorial on the link below, downloading and installing X-CTU, removing the atmega ic from the Arduino as oriented somewhere else, putting the shield switch on the UART position and tried the test/query as well as to get the firmware info with X-CTU. It always fails. I tried all baudrate options, with API enabled, etc, and nothing ever happens. It's like the modules aren' t there. The DIO5 led is on all the time, as the power led. I soldered a wire to the reset pad and used it to reset the XBee module during an attempt to read, and DOUT led turns on and DIO5 off when I touch ground with it, but nothing else.

I considered updating the firmware, but from what I read around, if I can' t query the current version I won't be able to do anything else anyway, and I'd need the XBee Explorer anyway (out of stock), because it needs the RTS, unavailable on the Arduino. From the tutorial, seems like the ftdi breakout board works, but I only have the basic anyway, which doesn' t have a pin for RTS either.

Obviously, I already checked all soldering on both shields, and the Arduino boards are working. I tried with 4 different boards, the result is always the same.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

Let's slow down a bit and not turn too many knobs all at once, put the soldering iron away, etc. Firmware upgrade not immediately needed. The first thing to get to work is to be able to talk to a single XBee locally from a terminal program on the PC, actually X-CTU is fine for this. I believe they come from the factory with AT firmware set for 9600 baud.

What sort of FTDI board do you have, and how are you connecting it to the XBee? You will also likely need some sort of XBee adapter board, do you have one, if so, which one?

Yes, unless something has changed since I last bought XBees, two identical units will come from the factory set to 9600 bps, and they will immediately communicate with each other, without making any setup changes. Get that working first, and then worry about changing the setup.

What you should find is both XBees are set for MY = DH = Dl = 0. Even though both source and destination addresses are the same, two units will communicate fine, since they do not receive while they are transmitting. Three units will conflict however, as two units will try to respond to the one that transmitted.

oric_dan(333): Yes, unless something has changed since I last bought XBees, two identical units will come from the factory set to 9600 bps, and they will immediately communicate with each other, without making any setup changes.

That may be true for S1 modules, but for S2, one node will need the coordinator firmware loaded. S2 mesh networks must have exactly one node configured as the coordinator. The coordinator controls other nodes joining the network.

That may be true for S1 modules, but for S2, one node will need the coordinator firmware loaded. S2 mesh networks must have exactly one node configured as the coordinator. The coordinator controls other nodes joining the network.

Hmmm, that's too bad.

oric_dan(333):

Hmmm, that's too bad.

Well it's pretty straightforward, and the mesh networking is pretty cool, so small price in my book.

well its S2 module & m using arduino duimelanove with sparkfun xbee shield to connect module with pc. when i test modem with x-ctu , a info box appears which says press and release reset switch, but when i short pin5 and pin 10 on xbee s2 module nothing happens.

kherwa: well its S2 module & m using arduino duimelanove with sparkfun xbee shield to connect module with pc. when i test modem with x-ctu , a info box appears which says press and release reset switch, but when i short pin5 and pin 10 on xbee s2 module nothing happens.

When you try this, you have first removed the microcontroller from the Duemilanove?

yes i haveā€¦

Sounds like you're using the following shield,

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9976

Looking at the schematic, indicates all that "putting the shield switch on the UART position" does is connect the XBee Din/Dout to Arduino pins 0,1 as opposed to 2,3. The referenced page says:

"DIN and DOUT pins of XBee can be connected to either the UART pins or any digital pin on the Arduino (D2 and D3 default)"

That allows the XBee to talk to the Arduino, but NOT the Arduino USB port. To do that, you need to both hold the ATmega in reset [or remove], and also swap the Rx+Tx lines.

AFAICT, the only way to do that with that shield is to mount it to the side and connect using jumpers. Power, gnd, and with Rx,Tx crossed.

Also note, I don't think you can reflash the XBee using that shield, because it does not bring the USB DTR signal over to pin 9 on the XBee. No way to do that with a regular Arduino board, I think. [unless maybe the S2 series XBee don't need the DTR signal for reflashing].

Good luck.

oric_dan(333): Also note, I don't think you can reflash the XBee using that shield, because it does not bring the USB DTR signal over to pin 9 on the XBee. No way to do that with a regular Arduino board, I think. [unless maybe the S2 series XBee don't need the DTR signal for reflashing].

so, what should i use , instead of sparkfun xbee shield.

I believe this will do it, you will notice in the blowup that FTDI pin 2 goes to XBee pin 9. I think that does the trick.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/247

However, I would call them first and make sure it will reflash series 2 modules.

This module also gives you an XBee node to keep connected to your base-station [PC].

thanks...wud try it instead... or can i try with mounting it on side