"New" forum

Since the forum here previously used SMF 1.1.19, I initially thought the upgrade would be minor (the security patch to SMF 1.1.20).

From SMF's security patch announcement, it states:

"If you are running 1.1.19, you can update to 1.1.20 by using the smf_patch_1.1.20_2.0.9.zip patch file and installing it via the package manager as well. If you are still using 1.1.x branch, please be aware this will be the last patch released for this version, so you are strongly urged to upgrade to 2.0.9, in order to be able to continue to receive security upgrades to your forum. Note that we will continue to provide support for 1.1 until 2.1 final is released."

When viewing the source of this forum, an clicking on the smf_jquery_plugins.js link, we get:

Their advice is to upgrade to 2.09.
SMF, creator of the forum software, is using this for their forum:
SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

To me, it looks like we're beta testing SMF's next version.

Hi Everyone,
As said here Attachments have disappeared - #16 by mastrolinux - Website and Forum - Arduino Forum I am the responsible of all the Arduino Web Architecture.
We would like to inform you that these are the issues we are going to solve in the short-term:

Disappeared attachments (solved)
Quick reply is focused instead of giving the content of the thread (solved)
Private messages not working (high prio)
Updated/unread posts feature is not working (high prio)
Search Form not working (medium prio, please use: Google in the meantime)

Here some issues we fixed in the last 2 days:

Profile settings
Some accounts were not normal users neither moderators
No recycle bin
Login issues
Removed more than 3k fake users after importing them from the old forum
Karma points were not working correctly
Changed the order of columns in the overview section
Last post appears at first in thread
Always show author names
Wrong number of posts displayed for threads (and in general respect for language specific number format)
Some others layout fixes
Number of posts per page set to 15

Please keep giving us feedback, we need your help!
We will take care of solving all major issues within 1-2 weeks, and we will leave the others in a backlog.
The migration to the new platform has been a big challenge for us and we (the Arduino Team) want to thank you for your valuable feedback.
We will update this thread in the coming weeks. Some other issues for Moderators are handled outside of this thread.
Thank you again!

dlloyd:
Their advice is to upgrade to 2.09.
SMF, creator of the forum software, is using this for their forum:
SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

To me, it looks like we're beta testing SMF's next version.

Hi,

We are using SMF 2.1 indeed. We tested the forum for more than 2 months already and we addressed many issues in the main codebase of SMF in our private repo. Our new codebase is easy to be merged with the new improvements of SMF as soon as they are released. We are using the branch release-2.1 that is quite stable and much cleaner than the old codebase.
A big thank you to the SMF forum developers for their great work at GitHub - SimpleMachines/SMF: Simple Machines Forum — SMF in short — is free and open-source community forum software, delivering professional grade features in a package that allows you to set up your own online community within minutes!

Thanks for the update but if, as you say

We tested the forum for more than 2 months already

how come there were so many problems after the "upgrade" ?

Were any users involved in the testing ?

What's the process for banning spammers & deleting their posts now?
Looks like we go to the Reported Posts section, mark them as Ban, then close, then go back to where the posts appeared in a forum and delete the posts?

CrossRoads:
What's the process for banning spammers & deleting their posts now?
Looks like we go to the Reported Posts section, mark them as Ban, then close, then go back to where the posts appeared in a forum and delete the posts?

Just sent you a PM on it.

Please keep giving us feedback, we need your help!

I recommend having the "Quick Reply" feature as an option in the user's profile (if possible).

Just sent you a PM on it

Are they working now then ?

mastrolinux:
Hi Everyone,
As said here Attachments have disappeared - #16 by mastrolinux - Website and Forum - Arduino Forum I am the responsible of all the Arduino Web Architecture.
We would like to inform you that these are the issues we are going to solve in the short-term:
We will update this thread in the coming weeks. Some other issues for Moderators are handled outside of this thread.
Thank you again!

Hello to you
Since do to my post numbers being hammered back down to newbie level I had to laugh at your post numbers only showing 8.
Mind you that roll outs always have some issues, but I do so find it odd that a forum administrator would have only posted 8 times. Please tell me that that number is largely incorrect as others posting numbers have been and that you use the forum much more then it shows?

Why? Regarding all the issues and forum software quality the number is reasonable to me.

mastrolinux:
Hi Everyone,
Quick reply is focused instead of giving the content of the thread (solved)

Not solved whatsoever for me.
Using latest Firefox.
Can't be following an incorrect link or whatever, i'm just clicking links offered by the forum software itself.

Add to the problem list:

• Hitting the quote button copies a post to the quick reply box, so you'll be forced to use that.
    I absolutely hate that and want a way to get rid of that quick reply nonsense.
  • While being in that quick reply post during a quote, no tags are visible, so you'll have to guess how to handle these tags correctly

I really cant understand why a BETA was used for an upgrade, where in the past the newest (stable) version was never used.
I presumed that choice was made so problems would be sorted before that version was implemented here.
I now see that that was never the case.
I'm sorry to see there's a sh!tload of work to be done for you guys, and am not sure i'll stick around.
(Hope this post goes well)[/quote]

Not solved whatsoever for me.
Using latest Firefox.

+1

About no tags visible in quick reply, you can switch the editor into "plain text" using the last toolbar button and there is a profile option for it to default that way.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but on the ipad, something strange happens when typing a reply, so that key input is blocked under some conditions.
It looks like the input key presses are now processed by JavaScript as its very slow.
Is there an option to disable this, as its preventing me posting

Also as noted, every time I log in, it tells me there is a new pm, but there aren't any.
Well initially, every pm I ever had was in my in box, so I had to manually delete hundreds of them, but now I'm left with this other bug.

@rogerClark.
Are you able to scroll a thread using your iPad, if so, how?
Every time I try, the quick reply box comes up.

My problem with the false messages display disappeared after I deleted all my previously sent and received PMs.

@LarryD: try to scroll/swipe anyway. Don't bother with the up showing input box.

But the keyboard pops up and covers half the screen.

OK, if you move the screen slightly to the right then let it go, the keypad disappears.
Thanks.

rogerClark:
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but on the ipad, something strange happens when typing a reply, so that key input is blocked under some conditions.
It looks like the input key presses are now processed by JavaScript as its very slow.
Is there an option to disable this, as its preventing me posting

Yes I have reported that today and it is in the system. It makes it almost impossible to post on the iPad. I offered to do them a video if it would help but I have not had any reply to that yet.

@mastrolinux, I am still having issues with my profile login @hiduino. Whenever I use my login I only get blank (totally white) pages going to any forum page. I can't even access my profile settings page to edit the layout, it comes up with a blank page also.

That happens on my iPad, all I have to do is swipe down on the screen and it is refreshed.