5x5x5 LED cube

here is my Arduino based 5x5x5 LED Cube.

it uses 5 3-8 bitdecoder chips to control the LEDs. the Arduino Board uses a PL2323 For USB to Serial. I recycled it from an old data cable for a mobile phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56A5R92YlZY

Wow - Taking it a step further if there were 1000 x1000 x1000 and they were RGB LED’s then you could make a three dimensional image !
Inside a crystal ball or like looking into a fish tank

april: Wow - Taking it a step further if there were 1000 x1000 x1000 and they were RGB LED's then you could make a three dimensional image ! Inside a crystal ball or like looking into a fish tank

... ... WHAT??? :)

you can get very good results with a size of 16x16x16. 1000 x1000 x1000 (1.000.000.000 LEDs) is a bit too expensive (for me). there are a few vids on youtube showing some very big LED displays.

thanks for your reply :)

Very nice and inspiring project. i'm putting a ledcube in my project cue now. What kind of bit decoder chips did you use? 74HC595? Do you have a schematic? Regards

I always struggle soldering these so as to put them all leds symmetrically in the right way. Can you guide me to the place where i can solder them in the right way?

Make yourself a chart Nishant - flat side of the LED, which is usually the long lead too (I think), is the Cathode. Your array/cube will have all anodes connected, or all cathodes connected, yes?

So you have a set of shift registers that sink current thru the individual LED cathodes, with each layer having its own P-channel controlled source of current. Turn on the cathodes, pulse the anode driver to light the LEDs. Next layer.

Or, you a set of shift registers that source current to the individual LED anodes, with each layer having its own N-channel conrolled current sink. Turn on the anodes, pulse the cathode driver to light the LEDs. Next layer.

Hi Sir Robert , thanks for getting back on this , i have attached the click of my rather UGLY 4x4x4 cube , i drilled holes in a cardboard box to make sure the dimensions are exact but up on the ladder things twisted for bad and on the whole my cube turned A UGLY DUCKLING :.

Will be beautiful when you turn it on and turn off the room lights tho.

ok having your +ve endorsement, i'll now get on further and control it.

i have extended my led cube with an electret mic + an lm386 opamp to have some env response

here are my first results (there are still some noise issues i have to fix)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71LunzJDEY&feature=g-all-u&context=G2698083FAAAAAAAABAA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCyzaypgb_4&feature=player_embedded

there is also a tiny description with some project details and ressources on my blog:

www.cmdrkeen.net