90v dc motor

Hello everyone

I am working on a project and I have this 90v dc motor that I would like to control with an arduino.

I am very capable of putting all the hardware together but I don’t know what hardware would I need or how to program it. I’ve been trying to do research but can’t seem to find specific info on what I need.

I know I could use an ac to dc drive and manually control the speed but that would be too easy. I want to complicate my project a little more.

The motor itself is a 1/2 HP 90v dc motor. If there is a wiring diagram that could help that would be great along with what arduino hardware I would need.

I read somewhere that I could use a L298N H-bridge Motor Controller and an arduino uno but I don’t know if it would hold up or if it is the proper hardware.

Anyways I am over my head when it comes to this and I would like to learn.
Thanks in advance.

Mcj12:
Hello everyone

I am working on a project and I have this 90v dc motor that I would like to control with an arduino.

I am very capable of putting all the hardware together but I don't know what hardware would I need or how to program it. I've been trying to do research but can't seem to find specific info on what I need.

I know I could use an ac to dc drive and manually control the speed but that would be too easy. I want to complicate my project a little more.

The motor itself is a 1/2 HP 90v dc motor. If there is a wiring diagram that could help that would be great along with what arduino hardware I would need.

I read somewhere that I could use a L298N H-bridge Motor Controller and an arduino uno but I don't know if it would hold up or if it is the proper hardware.

Anyways I am over my head when it comes to this and I would like to learn.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Arduino forum!

First and most important thing to do is to tell us exactly what you mean when you want to "control" the motor.

Do you mean on and off? Do you mean speed control? Do you mean changing direction of rotation? Do you want all three?

Then tell us how much load your motor will have. Will you need the full 1/2 horse power? Will you need it at all times?

Then tell us more about the motor itself. The starting current is most important and you cannot decide on a motor controller until you know the "stall current", which is the current the motor draws the instant it starts moving.

When you have answered, then someone can help you determine the components needed to do what you want. And finally then you can think about programming.

Paul

I read somewhere that I could use a L298N H-bridge Motor Controller

No, not for that motor. The ancient L298N works only with very small toy motors.

You will need a motor driver capable of handling much higher than 90 Volts, as well as the stall current (likely over 25 Amperes) of the motor. None are on the hobby/consumer market, that I know of.