Analog Switch IC help? (IH5011CPE)

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand how an analog switch IC works.

The datasheet says:
"The odd numbered devices are designed to be driven directly from TTL open collector logic (15 volts) while the even numbered devices are driven directly from low level TTL logic (5 volts). Each channel simulates a SPDT switch. SPST switch action is obtained by leaving the diode cathode unconnected; for SPDT action, the cathode should be grounded (0V). The parts are intended for high performance multiplexing and commutating usage. A logic “0” turns the channel ON and a logic “1” turns the channel OFF."
I've attached a schematic that shows a single switch. I'm not where to apply the logic "0" or "1" to operate the switch.
if pin 2 goes low, does that close the internal switch and pass current across pins 3 and 1?
This chip is used in my stereo, and can be a failure point. I'd like to build a little test circuit to test these chips.
Can anyone explain how this chip work in a simple way?
Thanks!

mixographer:
if pin 2 goes low, does that close the internal switch and pass current across pins 3 and 1? = correct.

Thanks for the reply. So where is ground? Say I send a sine wave into 3 and want to see that over at 1, I set 2 'high' and where is ground? I think a more modern part/datasheet would have a neat little example circuit to make things clear to me.

Each package contains up to four channels of analog gating and is designed to eliminate the need for an external driver. The odd numbered devices are designed to be driven directly from TTL open collector logic (15 volts) while the even numbered devices are driven directly from low level TTL logic (5 volts). Each channel simulates a SPDT switch. SPST switch action is obtained by leaving the diode cathode unconnected; for SPDT action, the cathode should be grounded (0V). The parts are intended for high performance multiplexing and commutating usage. A logic "0" turns the channel ON and a logic "1" turns the channel OFF.

DG723

Your switch is obsolete, google - analog switch

Thanks @Vik321 for you comments.

The part may be obsolete, but the Stereo receiver it is used in is very well-made, sounds fantastic and is far from obsolete. I agree that this part shouldn't be used in new designs, but it is necessary in it's current application. What I'm trying to do is build a test jig (maybe with arduino) that I could use to see if a given example of this part is bad, and why it failed.

Thanks for quoting the datasheet, I have that but I can't understand it.

The last part you showed is clear to me, as it has a V+ and a GND, and the Normally Open and Normally closed switches. It doesn't make my part more clear. Thanks for trying though.

Thanks for quoting the datasheet, I have that but I can't understand it.

pin #2 has 2 functions,

1. V+

2. control

pin 4 = GND

Great, thanks.

So if I want to do something like this attachment, do i need pull-ups or pull downs somewhere? or a resistor on pin 2?

Cheers,

jimmy

Depends how you control pin #2 , of from arduino resistor is not necessary if from mechanical (toggle )switch pull down resistor is recommended. Just try it and see the results.