Arduino mega 2560 R3 not programming with Windows7 64bit

Hi. I've been attempting unsuccessfully to program my Arduino Mega 2560 R3 board with just an example sketch like "blink". I can see the 2560 in the device manager and have tried to use the correct driver.

The error I'm currently getting: avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

My PC: Windows 7, 64 bit. I have read through the "getting started" guidelines and the only thing that jumps out at me is - Windows 7 will not let me specify the exact .ini file for the driver (no .ini files are visible when I browse to them, but I can clearly see them in windows explorer). The driver assigned to my board currently is shown in the attachment.

Also, the LED isn't blinking. I have a second identical board that was blinking right out of the box - until windows loaded the "driver" - now the LED's are just on all the time. Why is this? I thought blinking LED's were a good sign the board had a boot-loader.

Is there something fundamental that I'm missing?

Many, many thanks,
John

2560 drvr capture.PNG

The driver appears to be installed correctly. Have you tried the loopback test? Do you have the right board selected?

Thanks - good to know the driver is correct. Yes, I have the correct board selected, but have not tried the loopback test. I will research this and perform it - then post results.

Hi - I performed the loopback test successfully, with the terminal echoing everything I typed. I could also see the TX/RX LED's lighting simultaneously with each RTN - so all appears well in that regard.

And the board is not programming? Is anything else connected?