Arduino Micro - COM Port 'disconnected' and USB device not recognized (SOLVED)

Hi all,

My Arduino Micro suddenly not recognized by Windows. This problem started when i tried to upload a sketch to one of my arduino Micro. The Serial port disappeared. After that whenever i press the reset button, the com port appear for a few seconds then disappear again. In device manager, the arduino micro appears to be disconnected even though it is still connected to my labtop using USB. Sometimes, the 'USB device not recognized' message will pop up. In the usb there is an 'unknown device' with device status: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

I am using windows 7 64-bit, recently updated Arduino Software 1.0.5.

I have tried:

• using different usb cable and usb port,
  • using another Arduino Micro (i only have 2),
  • uninstall the driver and reinstall it, (not sure if i manage to completely uninstall the driver),
  • connect Micro on other computer (using Arduino 1.0.5),
  • no such problem for my arduino Uno.

Any suggestion or solution would be welcome. Thank you.

To load a new sketch on your Micro:

Hold the reset button and continue to hold while selecting Upload.
When the IDE shows Uploading...
Release the reset button.

Try this with Blink or some other known good sketch.

Thank you very much Louis Davis.

The problem now solved. I suspect that i have created too many arrays in my previous code.

I have the same issue. My Arduino Micro connects for a few seconds after the reset button is pressed and then disconnects.

This now happens with 2 different Micros and 2 different USB cables. Until now, I had uploaded multiple scripts (40+ in number) and maintained a Serial connection with the Micro for several minutes. I had successfully connected and disconnected probably 20 times. Why this suddenly stopped working, I have no idea. The drivers are unchanged, the Arduino IDE is unchanged (v1.6.4).

The workaround that was suggested, does enable me to upload a script in the few seconds that the Micro is connected, but that does not enable me to maintain serial communication with the Micro.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else to try to reestablish a permanent connection to my Micros, not just a 2-3 second connection?

1 Like

db533:
I have the same issue. My Arduino Micro connects for a few seconds after the reset button is pressed and then disconnects.

This now happens with 2 different Micros and 2 different USB cables. Until now, I had uploaded multiple scripts (40+ in number) and maintained a Serial connection with the Micro for several minutes. I had successfully connected and disconnected probably 20 times. Why this suddenly stopped working, I have no idea. The drivers are unchanged, the Arduino IDE is unchanged (v1.6.4).

The workaround that was suggested, does enable me to upload a script in the few seconds that the Micro is connected, but that does not enable me to maintain serial communication with the Micro.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else to try to reestablish a permanent connection to my Micros, not just a 2-3 second connection?

I have the exact same issue. Anyone has an idea?

I have the same issue, on windows 7 x64. Very annoying, the USB3 port does not work at all, on the USB 2 port the micro is only available for a few seconds.

Anything new on this topic?

Best

Tim

Hi all

Here is my full story:

Got a Pro Micro 3.3V connected to a RFId module (RC522)

Virgin Micro (new from box) recognised as a Leonardo by Windows... all fiiiiine

As soon as i upload "DumpInfo" from RFID library the Micro freezes and is no longer recognised by Windows

Real trouble comes when Micro is not "seen" by IDE... its port has disapeard (used to be 6 or 7, now only com3 remains...) so i can not longer upload while holding reset...

Any idea?

Thanks a lot for reading

Ben

Thank you so much! This worked like a charm!

1 Like

Got the same Problem after I played whit the interupt input on pin 1

So i tryed this.
I just did hold the Reset Button down and waited till it started uploading.
Then relesed. Didn't work.

But as I pressed quick a few times after "uploading turns up", it suddenly got recognised from windows and the Blink Sketch got loaded up.

from then on the board didn't had any problems any more.
exept during uploading the windows sound for unpluging USB comes up twice, but still it loads up OK.

Its an Arduino Micro I'm talking about.

Locogab8200:
Got the same Problem after I played whit the interupt input on pin 1

So i tryed this.
I just did hold the Reset Button down and waited till it started uploading.
Then relesed. Didn't work.

But as I pressed quick a few times after "uploading turns up", it suddenly got recognised from windows and the Blink Sketch got loaded up.

from then on the board didn't had any problems any more.
exept during uploading the windows sound for unpluging USB comes up twice, but still it loads up OK.

Its an Arduino Micro I'm talking about.

This fixed my USB DEVICE ERROR on my Chinese Clone after 3 days of Googling every other possible solution from Clean install to Removing Drivers to Put it in a fire and forget it.

Reload a known good sketch with reset touched, when the IDE says "uploading" hit reset thrice quickly, suddenly computer recognized the USB, assigned a COM, and sketch ran fine. Haven't a single issue since then.