Arduino Micro doesn't appear in Device Manager

Hi! I have an Arduino Micro that I've connected it to my computer (Windows 8) via USB cable. I do not see the board appear in Device Manager. Moreover I am unable to upload anything to the board.

I've tried pressing the reset button upon uploading my code (blink example), but it didn't work for me. My computer totally doesn't acknowledge that an Arduino Micro has been connected to it.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: my operating system is Windows eight.

I came here to post about this same problem. I’m on Windows 7. My Micro worked for a while. It stopped when I uploaded a new version of a sketch I’ve been working on to communicate with a Wii Nunchuck over I2C. At times resetting it makes it pop up on the device manager and the Arduino IDE. Once, I managed to do the manual-reset-while-uploading trick to replace my sketch with blink. It seemed to work fine after that. I uploaded my nunchuck code and it disappeared again. After that, I wasn’t able to find it, even temporarily. I hooked it up to my Uno and bootloaded it (I assume that this erases the current sketch too). The IDE reported that the bootload was successful, and the Micro appeared to start running the blink sketch (I guess that’s what the bootload sketch does to show you it’s working). However, it still doesn’t appear on my computer anywhere. I’m running IDE version 1.6.5. I think we have the same problem. I may still make a separate thread just to draw attention to how widespread the issue is. I’ve never come across this problem with any of my other Arduinos. It seems like this is a common problem on the Micro, and I haven’t seen a solution anywhere. I’m really hoping someone from Arduino gets in here to answer this, because it’s a pretty serious problem that has essentially bricked my Micro. The nunchuck code is below.

#include <Wire.h>

int nckAdrs = 0x52;
int const bufferSize = 6;
int toSend[] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};

void setup(){
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Wire.begin();
  Wire.beginTransmission(nckAdrs);
  Wire.write(0x40);
  Wire.write(0x00);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}

void loop(){
  delay(1);
  Wire.requestFrom(nckAdrs, bufferSize);
  for(int i = 0; (i < bufferSize) && Wire.available(); i ++){
    Serial.print(toSend[i] + "  ");
    toSend[i] = (Wire.read() ^ 0x17) + 0x17;
  }
  Serial.println();
  toSend[2] = (toSend[2] << 2) | ((toSend[6] >> 2) && 0x03);
  toSend[3] = (toSend[3] << 2) | ((toSend[6] >> 4) && 0x03);
  toSend[4] = (toSend[4] << 2) | ((toSend[6] >> 6) && 0x03);
  toSend[5] = ((toSend[6] >> 1) && 0x01);
  toSend[6] &= 0x01;
  Wire.beginTransmission(nckAdrs);
  Wire.write(0x00);
  Wire.endTransmission();
}

EDIT:
After some more searching, it seems that this is an extremely common thing for this Arduino. No definitive solution has been reached. People just recommend the button-press timing trick over and over. That would be helpful if my Arduino even showed up. Arduino doesn’t provide a wokr-around on the Micro’s product page. It hasn’t even acknowledged it in any way as far as I can tell. I don’t know if they read these forums or not, but if they do they need to respond to this post ASAP. This is absolutely unacceptable. I’ll be emailing their customer support if we don’t get a solution soon. I’ll have to return this Micro if I’m still under Radio Shack’s warranty and Arduino doesn’t come through, and I don’t think I’ll buy another board again if this is what I have to look forward to. I already have an Uno and a Mega, and I can make new Uno’s myself. The Teensy appears to be fully capable of taking the place of the Micro if necessary. Normally I’d accept bugs etc in a product, but this hasn’t even been acknowledged despite it being a reoccurring issue with the board. I’d at least like to know if they’re working on a fix.

I'm not 100% sure if our problems our the same as I have not even gotten the Micro to upload once. My device wont even get recognized as a com port or even as an unknown device. Needless to say, the button trick didn't work for me. Even if it did, I think that is unprofessional, and completely unacceptable as a fix.

There must be something I'm missing. I can't possibly be the only person with an Arduino Micro and a windows 8.1 PC that is having trouble with interfacing my computer with the Arduino.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalled IDE Disabled Digital Signatures Tried to install Arduino Micro Drivers in the Old Drivers Zip folder