Arduino Tre Price

The new Arduino Tre is scheduled to arrive any time now (Spring 2014). Is the price known yet? Will it fall near the Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black? I'm very excited for Arduino's leap to the SBC domain (single-board-computer). I'm a bit concerned with the price for the following reasons: (1) it will be manufactured in the United States , (2) it must integrate two processors from different vendors (ATMEL and TI), and (3) it features more peripherals than R-Pi and BeagleBone Black. That said, it has to be more expensive than a 32-bit Due, but hopefully less than sixty. For Arduino's sake, I hope the cost does not exceed $59.95 USD. On the other hand, in the very unlikely case the price is the same or less than the R-Pi Model B, that would dethrone R-Pi as the de facto king of SBCs.

randomvibe:
(1) it will be manufactured in the United States

That will make it instantly uncompetitive in any other country, as the shipping charges would double the $69.95 price.

This is a major reason that we simply do not - cannot justify buying things from American vendors even if the list price is reasonable or favourable.

Paul__B:
This is a major reason that we simply do not - cannot justify buying things from American vendors even if the list price is reasonable or favourable.

Yep. There's loads of stuff I'd buy on eBay from the USA if they didn't want $30 for tiny items, $60 for anything bigger.

It looks like eBay is trying to do something with a new "Global Shipping" program but many USA sellers don't seem to care about foreigners and don't make any effort.

Paul__B:
That will make it instantly uncompetitive in any other country, as the shipping charges would double the $69.95 price.

I'm sure the Arduino team has a plan to reduce shipping charges for the individual. Possible options: Manufacture boards in the U.S. and ship in bulk (tens of thousands of units) to several international destinations, then users can buy them from their local distributor. Or ship the individual chips (millions of units) and have the individual countries assemble the Tre boards, create jobs, and sell to their local customers.

Still, I hope the Arduino Tre does not exceed the cost of the Beaglebone Black ($45 USD).

You guys make me laugh. When I had my web store for micro-controller stuff I could ship most items to Australia for around $8-$10. Not sure where you are getting $60 from. Spain, was even cheaper, but unfortunately about 25% of the articles I sent to Spain never got to their customers. So I stopped shipping to Spain. But I never, ever had a problem with Australia the UK or the rest of Europe. Even the Russian Federation was okay. Just Spain.

Anyway, you all stayed away in droves, preferring to shop at far more expensive places, so I had to shut down. Now you can no longer get 3 RGB LEDs for $1.00, but you can buy them from SparkFun or Adafruit for $1.95 each. Good for you!!

BillO:
You guys make me laugh. When I had my web store for micro-controller stuff I could ship most items to Australia for around $8-$10. Not sure where you are getting $60 from.

Well, chuckle away as you will. Maybe you could ship them for that amount from the US, but apparently no-one else can, certainly not the "big guys". One reason Amazon does not ship so much stuff from the US.

BillO:
Anyway, you all stayed away in droves, preferring to shop at far more expensive places, so I had to shut down. Now you can no longer get 3 RGB LEDs for $1.00.

Sad. I had to make do with this.

Paul__B:
Sad. I had to make do with this.

That's a good deal but personally I hate messing with auctions which may or may not pan out and may or may not delay my projects. Of course, on stuff like this I try to keep a decent number around so I never have to wait if I have an idea. I think I have about 300 of these in the kit right now. But on most things, I think I do 20 buy-it-nows to every auction I attempt. I do a two or three a year, max. The last one did work out, some joker was selling EPM1270s TQFP144s for a very good start price but he misspelled the part number EMP1270 and I think I was the only one who ever noticed the auction. I ended up with 10 of them for $30 (usually a $20 part each). And it is always best to bid once and walk away if you don't get your price. No point at all to bid up some stupid auction. Just my two cents...

Paul__B:
Well, chuckle away as you will. Maybe you could ship them for that amount from the US, but apparently no-one else can, certainly not the "big guys". One reason Amazon does not ship so much stuff from the US.

I'm not saying you are fibbing, just making light of your vendor choices. BTW, I'm from Canada.

Paul__B:
Sad.

Yeah, a bit. Two really good people lost their jobs. But you don't have to worry about me. I still have my custom controls company.

Paul__B:
I had to make do with this.

Good for you, that's a nice price. But not everyone can use 50 of them, and I'll bet that vendor will not sell you your Arduino, some of those LEDS, a solder less breadboard, a couple of servos, some MOSFETS, a handful of different ICs and all the other stuff you need for your project, package it up in one box and send it to you for $12 like the last order we sent to Australia.

BillO:
Now you can no longer get 3 RGB LEDs for $1.00, but you can buy them from SparkFun or Adafruit for $1.95 each. Good for you!!

Or maybe you didn't market enough.
Or maybe you over-estimated the volume available -- Sparkfun doesn't make money by selling individual RGB LEDs.
Or maybe the people who care about price go to Digi-key, where they can buy them for $0.649 (or $.66, for the double-bright ones.)
My bet is on a combination of over-estimating volume and under-estimating how much marketing is needed to cut through the noise -- but I have zero knowledge about your particulars; this is just an observation based on the "typical case."

Anyway: If the Tre can sell for $49, it may have a chance. Else, the Pi, plus perhaps a $9 USB Atmega board, is more likely to keep capturing the market for higher-end CPU.
Unless there's something really glitzy in the programming/IDE part, like drag-and-drop components or something, that only works with the Tre. That might be worth a mark-up.

BillO:
Not sure where you are getting $60 from.

The answer would be to "check some random shipping prices on eBay" but eBay Global Shipping has muddied the waters a bit.

Here's an example of the variation on something I bought last week:
$23 to ship with Global Shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181366863940
$60 shipping for same item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390695889861
$184 shipping without the big carrying case (should be cheaper!): http://www.ebay.com/itm/370289751419
$211 shipping ... : http://www.ebay.com/itm/291113089581

(don't know if anybody else can see those prices...)

BillO:
Spain, was even cheaper, but unfortunately about 25% of the articles I sent to Spain never got to their customers. So I stopped shipping to Spain. But I never, ever had a problem with Australia the UK or the rest of Europe. Even the Russian Federation was okay. Just Spain.

I'm in Spain. I've ordered over 500 things on eBay, I think only two of them never turned up.

jwatte:
Or maybe you over-estimated the volume available -- Sparkfun doesn't make money by selling individual RGB LEDs.

The LEDs were only an example. BTW, SparkFun sold many, many, many, many times what I sold at 6 times the price. So it must have been marketing. Flashy ads are worth paying more of your hard earned money for sure.

jwatte:
Or maybe the people who care about price go to Digi-key, where they can buy them for $0.649 (or $.66, for the double-bright ones.)

Well at 3 of the super-bright for $1.00, I was still half the price of Digi-key

jwatte:
Anyway: If the Tre can sell for $49, it may have a chance.

I agree on this. It has to enter the market competitively.

fungus:

Well, a Fluke meter in a hard case is a far cry from a Arduino Tre. $23 is not half bad for that. But I get your point. Still there is a good choice in that group you present. That's what I mean. So It costs $23 to have a Fluke meter in a hard case sent to Spain. Not $60 or more, as choosing those would be foolish (like those that choose to pay SprkFun $2 for an LED).

fungus:
I'm in Spain. I've ordered over 500 things on eBay, I think only two of them never turned up.

That's why I mentioned Spain. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you Fungus. Not sure if the items went 'missing' in the system, or if the recipients were not being all that honest. Either way, with the tiny mark-up on these things, there was no way I could sustain giving back the money on 25% of my shipments. It's too bad, because the other 75% really seemed appreciative.

Just saw the specs on the Parallax Propeller-2. Not out yet and no price. The organization is tight-lipped as is Arduino on the Tre. Anyway, if the price is right, the Propeller-2 could outdo the Arduino Due. Basically its about twice as fast and includes 92 input/outputs; all can be configured as 13-bit ADCs! Impressive. C is supported, although not the main programming language (one of the reasons I moved on to Arduino). Does collaboration with the Parallax semiconductor business make sense? Don't see why not.

BillO:
Well, a Fluke meter in a hard case is a far cry from a Arduino Tre.

This was just something I bought last week so the shipping costs were fresh in my memory.

BillO:
Well, a Fluke meter in a hard case is a far cry from a Arduino Tre. $23 is not half bad for that.

The $23 prices have only appeared in the last couple of months when eBay decided to do something about USA shipping costs.

Before that we were at the mercy of the sellers (we still are - some of them think $211 for shipping a $75 item is acceptable).

There's plenty of times I didn't buy from the USA because the shipping was $40-$60 for something that cost $10. It's obvious from the spread of pricing that some sellers aren't being realistic (even Fedex 48 hour delivery wouldn't cost anywhere near $211).

BillO:
Not sure if the items went 'missing' in the system, or if the recipients were not being all that honest.

Option (c) is that the post office tried to charge them import tax+administration fee and they refused. I don't know what happens to the parcel if that happens.

I never seem to get taxed for parcels from China. I have been taxed on a couple of high-value items from the USA.

fungus:
I never seem to get taxed for parcels from China. I have been taxed on a couple of high-value items from the USA.

UK Customs don't look at anything below about £15 (about US$25) as it's not cost effective to try to collect £3 ($5). The Post Office charges them that much to collect the payment on their behalf. Spanish Customs is probably the same.
Chinese shippers often mark the customs declaration for small items as 'gift'.
The most annoying thing is that Customs also tax the shipping charges. Your $211 shipping would become $253.20 here!

randomvibe:
On the other hand, in the very unlikely case the price is the same or less than the R-Pi Model B, that would dethrone R-Pi as the de facto king of SBCs.

You're wrong, no SBC will EVER be as cheap is the raspberry pi. Broadcom subsidizes the price of the pi, so it is insanely cheap. It's the same thing that TI does for it's launch pads. No way could they be making a profit selling a development board and usb cable for $6.

When I had my web store for micro-controller stuff ...

How long ago, was that ? Impossible to get anything sent from the USA for less than $30 USD now.

BillO:

fungus:

Well, a Fluke meter in a hard case is a far cry from a Arduino Tre. $23 is not half bad for that.

Not very fast though. Apparently.

(It still isn't here, but some other stuff I ordered from China arrived today...)

Shipping prices should be the exact same as the BeagleBone Black because they are coming from the same factory. As for retail price I would expect something around the $75 price. $20 for Leonardo + $45 for BBB + ~$10 for other parts.
-Daniel.

michinyon:

When I had my web store for micro-controller stuff ...

How long ago, was that ? Impossible to get anything sent from the USA for less than $30 USD now.

Not true, as quick example of an item I bought recently, http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9668/cpa-293/Lian_Li_Dual_25_HDDSDD_to_35_Drive_Bay_Adapter_-_HD-321.html shipped to Finland costs $7.99 shipping with "USPS First Class International".

High costs are from merchants who do not offer this cheap and simple shipping option and only offer e.g. UPS. And while that cheap shipping has quote of 15-30 days, in practice it has allways taken a bit over a week.