Arduino UNO R3 - Code 10 the device cannot start

Hi, i´ve seen some others having this problem, but did not find a solution.

I try to install my genuine Arduino UNO R3 on my windows 7, 46Bit machine (also tried winxp, also no success)

-> Plug it in -> Devices: Unknown Device ->ATmega16u2 DFU is shown -> update drivers and selecting Arduino UNO R3.INF -> Devices: COM/ LPT - Arduino UNO R3 (COM 3) is shown with yellow signal, The device cannot start (Code 10)

Does anyone have a solution?

Next step: I was able to connect a friends Arduino Uno SMD with no problem.

Question: Could it be that the firmware / bootloader on my Arduino UNO R3 is not installed correctly.

Can i do this or do i have to return the hardware to my vendor?

Thanks!

I am working through the same problem. I would guess it is has something to do with code on the R3. I found this link since I like to trouble shoot.

http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/247

short answer use the 1.0 version driver folder.

Thanks for your hints.

I tried with version 1.0 folder several times -> no success.

I talked to my vendor and will get a replacement. Hopefully it will work then......

On an HP Vista machine, had a UNO R3 that gave this error code when I tried installing it. Tried another UNO and problem went away and successfully loaded blink. Original board still gives same error. Therefore was a bad board somehow.

I think I have found solution to the problem described above in case of arduino uno with CH340 USB-to-serial chip in Winodws 7 32 bit. Just update the COM driver with drivers for CH340 USB-to-serial chip which can be downloaded from http://javacolors.blogspot.com/2014/08/dccduino-usb-drivers-ch340-ch341-chipset.html. Although the site describes a solution for Macbook, it contains also drivers for windows. This solution worked for me. (Exchange of usb CABLE and Arduino driver reinstalation did not work for me). with regards Bartek

I had the same problem with my Pro Mini. Worked for awhile then code 10 error. Even with a new Pro Mini, FTDI breakout, computer (Window 7), cable.

Eventually I install the "Arduino Uno" as "USB Serial Port", then everything works. So far.

Hope this help.

Thomas

@jjoe and @madsci_guy

The fact that you are seeing Atmega16u2 in Device manager could probably suggest that your boards weren't properly loaded. I would suggest that you guys try to reload the atmega16u2 through flip. A tutorial on how to do this can be found here.

Here i attached driver file.Unzip the file. Upload it manually in port proprty.

Code 10 error is usually USB hub error. You might be using clone version of arduino. Where they use Different female USB; for which driver wont support

drivers.zip (1.19 MB)

i found a solution for this problem. you have to install atmel flip programme in your computer. and upload the (arduino-usbserial-........rev3.hex) file in your arduino board.

AMPS-N: Here i attached driver file.Unzip the file. Upload it manually in port proprty.

Code 10 error is usually USB hub error. You might be using clone version of arduino. Where they use Different female USB; for which driver wont support

I am using a clone as i have just discovered and i have downloaded the file you attached (thank you) how do i upload it manually into port property? Im very new to this thanks again

DeadPoolWanab: I am using a clone as i have just discovered and i have downloaded the file you attached (thank you) how do i upload it manually into port property? Im very new to this thanks again

If you are truly using a clone, the attached drivers wont do you any good. Those are just a compressed copy of the drivers that are originally installed alongside the IDE. What usb-to-serial chip does your board use?

if the USB-to-serial chip is the small component next to the input port on the UNO r3, then im unable to tell you what sort it is as it has a 5 and then what appears to be two symbols following. however i have a had a look on line to find fake identification threads and videos and this same component is green and not the patented brown and orange that genuine Arduino's use.

I again apologize for my shear lack of knowledge.

iv uploaded a photo of the board to hopfull awnser your question

iv uploaded a photo of the board to hopfull awnser your question

Where did you upload it?

due to a failure to upload the image of my board i have found one that is identical to my eye, this is the link.

http://store.roboticsbd.com/721-thickbox_default/arduino-uno-r3-made-in-china-robotics-bangladesh.jpg

That is not the chip that we need to identify, the serial converter chip can be found encircled in red in the following image.
Uno-front-DFU-reset.png

after 5 minutes and a magnifying glass haha

ATMEL MEGA16112 1440 PM 4W556G - 1

Okay. A bit ashamed to admit but I had misread your original post, the source of your problems was stated from the start.

You are going to need to re-upload the firmware for that chip by using the Atmel flip program. The process is detailed at the following link. https://www.virtuabotix.com/how-to-cure-sudden-uno-death-syndrome/

The main differences will be: 1. Your board is already stuck in DFU mode, so you need not connect the reset pin to ground.

1. When selecting your target device in flip, you will have to select the "atmega16u2" option.

2. The hex file (firmware) you will need to is the one for Arduino Uno R3s.

Since you are using a 64bit computer the hex file you need should be named "Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex" and be located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\firmware\atmegaXXu2\arduino-usbserial\”.

Hope that helps, let me know if it doesn't work. Berthfield

I followed your instructions however my bored was in COM5 mode where DFU should be displayed i have tried to ground the device in the manner specified in the link you posted however it then shows that it is in COM6 mode

I then tried to proceed with the firmware update anyway however that ended in failure also.

have i done something wrong or missed something?

I seriously appreciate your help!!