Arduino Uno with CH340G USB interface isn't properly recognized by Windows.

Hello,

I recently bought an Arduino Uno Clone from ebay (this one: https://goo.gl/S1iAqw, from "alice1101983"). When I plug it into the computer, Windows recognized that something was connected, but it only shows up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in the device manager and the device itself lights up (a red LED and a Green-blinking LED). I should note that I do not have the "Ports" section on device manager, and, on the Arduino IDE menu, the Ports are grayed out.

I have tried installing the CH340 drivers (through the CH341SER.exe, or something similar) and it says that the Drivers have been sucefully pre-installed. I've also tried manually updating the driver of the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" - the Arduino - manually, but, I can't seem to make it work.

Any help is deeply apreciated, goodbye, o/.

P.S. I am using Windows 10. I don't think that the cable is the problem and, from what I checked online, the Arduinos from this reseller come with the software flashed on the chip and, generally, work.

Are you using it in a USB 3.0 port? Try a USB 2.0 port - the USB 3.0 standard is supposed to ensure backwards compatibility, but in practice, this is really spotty.

DrAzzy: Are you using it in a USB 3.0 port? Try a USB 2.0 port - the USB 3.0 standard is supposed to ensure backwards compatibility, but in practice, this is really spotty.

I'm afraid my computer only has USB 3.0 ports, I've tried it with a USB extender (which is USB 2.0) and, the results are the same.

But, thank you still.

Which CH340 driver did you install, exactly? (web link?) You should probably use the one directly from the manufacturer, despite its web page being written mostly in Chinese. http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html

westfw: Which CH340 driver did you install, exactly? (web link?) You should probably use the one directly from the manufacturer, despite its web page being written mostly in Chinese. http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html

I used that same version you sent me.

Is it a problem that it says that the drivers were "Pre-installed in advanced"? (Probably not, I'd say, but, I do not know.)

If you are on Windows then the “pre installed in advance” message is to me a bad sign.

Never ever seen that message and almost certain its not a standard windows message.

Is the Ch 340G driver a 64 bit driver???

If so, what do you use for a 32 bit system??

Either or.

They are capable of running on a 32 or 64 bit systems from the same install package.

Many software drivers even on 64 bit systems are 32 bit drivers. Whilst some hardware can take advantage of 64 bit systems much of it cannot or does snot need to.

In the case of a UNO you are sending a sketch to what amounts to an 8 bit processor via what is loosely termed a COM (serial) port at mediocre speeds.

Even the 32 bit boards are still only using the same or similar protocols to send data to the chip.

Thanks for the input.

I currently have two Mega 2560s that I have had for about a year. They are using the CH320 driver and work fine. I just got a new board that looks to be an Arduino board. It says it is and also says it was made in Italy.

I know, that does not mean it was. In fact I doubt it was made in Italy.

The new board is not recognized by either my XP machine or my Windows 7 machine. Both are 32 bit machines.

I loaded the new CH341 which seems to load OK but the board is still not recognized.

I sent a note back to the supplier but really don't expect much help there.

By the way, I get the "pre installed in advance" message as well. I installed both the Chinese version of the driver as well as the one found on GetHub. The results are the same.

Hi KenK, I had the same issue a month ago. You need (on Windows 10) to disable driver signature verification. To do so, hold Shift while clicking the Restart button in the start menu. Then, select Troobleshooting (the tools icon) --> Advanced Options (checked list) --> Startup Settings. Then, your PC will reboot; from here just press the function key (F7 probably) which says "Disable Signature Enforcement". This will once again trigger a reboot. Then finish the job by reinstalling the drivers.

See this for pictures : https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/