Automatic guitar tuner using an Arduino

Hi guys,

i looking on creating an automatic guitar tuner for my project however i am having some issues with the actual arduino board because i have never used or programmed one. i need to somehow programme it to pick up the sound of a string plucked so it knows what frequency the string it at now then needs to tell the servo how much to move in a certain direction so that the string is in tune at the right frequency. i was just wondering if someone can give me guidance on what i should consider and how to do it? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Look at some of these as a starting point:

if someone can give me guidance on what i should consider

Try another project.

Normal hobby servos do not have the torque to do this. Also the rotation is normally limited to about 250o so you don't get much adjustment. The mechanical arrangements require quite a bit of skill to make.

Picking a frequency with a microphone is almost impossible. Sure you can use an FFT package ( which is something very advanced ) but even then getting the octave right is almost impossible because the strongest harmonic is seldom the lowest in the sound of a plucked string.

However be warned when you google "Arduino automatic guitar tuner" that anything on the Instructiables site is likely to be crap and you have to know quite a bit to spot what they have missed out or got wrong.

This might give you some idea of what is needed. Are you up to it because it is not a beginners project.

Many chromatic tuners clip on and pick up vibration thru the guitar body:

Electronic ones, or that use a mic, seem to be more expensive.

These are the two links i have found while doing research im thinking of a similar design. I have to do this as my final project now but i just need some guidance really on how to go about doing it. Thank you :slight_smile:

Grumpy_Mike:
However be warned when you google "Arduino automatic guitar tuner" that anything on the Instructiables site is likely to be crap and you have to know quite a bit to spot what they have missed out or got wrong.

christhomas1:
I have to do this as my final project ...

I presume that this is an academic project, and that it will have a significant impact on your grade. I urge you to reconsider. Your post says that you "have never used or programmed" an Arduino. This project would be difficult if you were well-experienced. Without experience with the hardware, it will be very difficult.

If you're already irrevocably committed, please consider negotiating with your instructor about exactly how to define success. I'd recommend that you use a specific guitar for the final tests - the same one that you use during the design process; that you use an electric guitar rather than an acoustic with a microphone; that you use a guitar with very smooth action on its tuning machines; that you use flat-wound strings; that the device only has to tune one string at a time, while the others remain muted; and that you use a fairly wide window for for deciding whether the guitar is in tune.

My strongest recommendation is an echo of Grumpy Mike's -

Grumpy_Mike:
Try another project.

When is this project due?