avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding; hours of frustration.

Ok so I recently purchases an arduino board to start some new electronics projects. My problem is that it will not work on my Macbook pro. I use Mac 0s-x version 10.6.8. I tried using the board on my brother's laptop(windows vista) and it was a success; No issues whatsoever, when uploading to his computer. The problem I'm having is I'm not able to get it to upload on my laptop. I've been searching these forums trying to find an answer for hours and hours and have tried quite a lot of stuff. The reset button, different baud rates. I even have windows 7 installed with bootcamp on my laptop and it won't work on the windows 7 partition. I'm getting the same thing. I'm beginning to think the USB port on the macs are funky. Too much current? Voltage? I've heard of people using a USB hub and have had success with that or even get an external keyboard with usb. Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I'm getting; I'm sure quite a bit of you have seen the same thing.

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 18:52:52 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/dustinweaver/Downloads/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/Users/dustinweaver/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done. Thank you.

I have had similar problems (multiple times!) using 1.0.5 and 1.5.5 of the IDE and my MacBook Pro. Something happens between the IDE and Mac OS X such that the IDE fails to create the virtual port, and it has driven me crazy for weeks! I remembered having the problem a few months ago, and here's what I did to fix the problem.... I started with the "missing port" issue with my Uno, and regardless of what I tried with restarting the Mac, plugging/unplugging the Uno, resetting the Uno, blah blah, I couldn't get the IDE/MacOSX to show the port was free. In desperation, I found an older Duemilanove Seeduino board I had (the Seeduino is just an Arduino clone), hooked it up and magically, the Due port appeared! I am guessing, but I believe it is because the IDE/MacOSX combo was forced to generate a new virtual serial port, because of the switch to an FTDI serial chip (the Duemilanova uses the FTDI usb-serial converter, whereas my Uno uses the Atmega16U2 usb-serial chip). By switching to the older chip on the Due, and forcing the IDE/MacOSX to create a new /dev/tty-xxx virtual port, somehow the IDE/MacOSX issue was solved. Then, when I switched back to my Uno, the /dev/tty.usbmodem1421 virtual port was created properly, and all was well with uploading programs again!

I have run into this problem numerous times (i'm not sure why it happens...but the problem seems to be demo related! ;-)...whenever I prepare for a demo, the port "disappearance" seems to return!...just joking!)...but this action has worked for me a few times!

Good luck! (ps, if you can find an older Arduino, (or even a different model, where the serial port has to be changed), and you manage to get your Arduino working, by this means, please respond to this thread....because then the IDE dev's might have a clue to where the bug might be!)...regards, Jim

When uploading the port does appear under the tools drop down menu. I select the/dev/tty.usbmodemxxxx virtual port. What you're saying is that Mac-osx does not make the port correctly? Hmmm. I'll definitely be on the look for an older board. P.S. my chip is an Atmel 328p. Works flawlessly on Windows vista on my brothers computer; with Uno board selected. Some people say to change to the selection board directly below, I've tried that. I hope that possibly some mods can fix this issue that I'm having. Sounds to me like quite a lot of people are having trouble with Mac-os and Arduino; or possibly just the usb ports on an apple system all together. Thanks, for the reply. I'm going to continue to look for solutions.

Found a solution to my problem and decided to post. I read that using the USB port on an external keyboard hooked up to the Mac would solve the problem. I bit the bullet and bought a USB hub from Walmart for 11 dollars. Plugged it in, hooked up the Arduino and bam!! Works flawlessly now. It's kind of odd that it works with USB hub but not on it's own. I thought I was about to scrap my mac before I found this out!

FOR Mac OSX amateurs (here's what worked for me):

I'm sure there are better solutions among the many pro-level users out there. But for all of us amateur Arduino users working on Mac devices, I found another workaround / cheat. The same avrdude programmer problem popped up on my machine too. And I didn't feel like waiting hours or days for an answer.

I thought about buying / getting an inexpensive USB keyboard (but I'm too lazy this winter).

So instead I took advantage of my dual-environment machine (running both OSX and Windows 7) and: 1) rebooted Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my Mac. 2) I installed Arduino software, 3) plugged in the device which immediately installed USB device software for the Arduino. 4) set my Board as Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328 5) set the Serial Port to COM3 (the only one that popped up) 6) ran Example 1 (the blinking light).

It worked without a problem. I hope this helps all of you dual-environment folks out there!