Beginner here - Need some simple help...

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate any help I can get with this simple project I am working on. I just got my Arduino Uno, and I am looking to connect it with a power supply and an LED strip to be able to customize the LEDs. When I say I am a beginner, I really am a BEGINNER - I have limited knowledge on many of the terms and connections needed for this. Here is what I have -

Through all of my YouTube-ing, I have yet to find a video that shows how to connect the Arduino, power supply and LED strip using the 3-pin wire connections that came standard with the LED strip I bought. In addition to the two 3-pin connections, there are also additional ground/+ wires that come out of each end of the LED strip.

I am wondering if I have all that I need, and if I don't, what am I missing? Literally any advice here would be abundantly helpful. Thank you guys very much for anything you can provide.

Anthony

Through all of my YouTube-ing, I have yet to find a video that shows how to connect the Arduino, power supply and LED strip using the 3-pin wire connections that came standard with the LED strip I bought

Forget 9V batteries they are useless in this situation. They very quickly go flat.

Grumpy_Mike:
Basic Connections | Adafruit NeoPixel Überguide | Adafruit Learning System

Forget 9V batteries they are useless in this situation. They very quickly go flat.

Very useful article, thank you for that. I will not touch the 9v batteries.
Here's another noob question - If my Arduino is being powered by my laptop via USB, how do I avoid having to have my laptop remain connected to the LED strip when it comes time to actually display it in my home? Feel like I'm missing something there...

Yes look at that diagram again, the 5V power supply that powers the strip is also powering the Arduino. So you don’t need the power from the USB.