Beginners questions

Hello,

I've got some really basic questions regarding the Arduino uno. I recently purchased one to start learning. While fiddling with the breadboard i accidentaly short circuited pin 13 to ground and 5v power pin to ground for about 1-2 secs in both cases while trying to light up a red LED. Does this cause any kind off long term damage? I think the circuits might overheat because of the high current but since it short circuited for such a short time is there any serious concern for these little mistakes? Also to calculate the resistance needed for a Standard red led (1.7V 10mA) i need about 330 ohms, if i add another one the Vf will be higher (1.7v+1.7v) does that mean that the resistance will have to be smaller? What is the output voltage from the digital pins? And can i change it? Last question: In case of a short circuit in the arduino while connected to the PC is there any chance of damage to the pc?

If any of these questions have already been answered i'm sorry :( Thank you for your time

I've got some really basic questions regarding the Arduino uno. I recently purchased one to start learning. While fiddling with the breadboard i accidentaly short circuited pin 13 to ground and 5v power pin to ground for about 1-2 secs in both cases while trying to light up a red LED. Does this cause any kind off long term damage? Most likely it will.

I think the circuits might overheat because of the high current but since it short circuited for such a short time is there any serious concern for these little mistakes? You could perminantely damage the board.

Also to calculate the resistance needed for a Standard red led (1.7V 10mA) i need about 330 ohms, if i add another one the Vf will be higher (1.7v+1.7v) does that mean that the resistance will have to be smaller? Yes.

What is the output voltage from the digital pins? 0 to 5 volts.

And can i change it? No.

Last question: In case of a short circuit in the arduino while connected to the PC is there any chance of damage to the pc? Possibly, but depends what you do.

If any of these questions have already been answered i'm sorry Thank you for your time

The regulator's thermal protection and poly fuse should have kicked in when you shorted 5v to ground, your computers power supply should be fine as it too is protected..

Just be careful in future.

5V regulator does not come into play when the board is powered via USB. polyfuse may open (and then close again when the short is removed and the fuse cools), or a fuse or similar in the PC may blow.