Brand new Arduino Nano will not upload

Hi! I just received my first Arduino boards today and tried uploading the classic Blink sketch. I am getting this message:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

<< compiling text deleted>>

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM5
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6c

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I can see the red Rx LED light up briefly every 5 seconds which I assume is each attempt at uploading so that part works. I even tried pressing the reset button on the board just prior to clicking the “Upload”. Always get the same result.

I have tried three different USB cables and two Nano boards and I get the same error.

I am running version 1.8.5 of the IDE on a Windows 10 Dell laptop.

The device shows up as COM5 and the board as “Arduino Nano”. The attached png is the Tools… menu.

The device managers shows COM5 as using the latest FTDI driver version: 2.12.28.0

I even tried reloading the bootloader (Tools… Burn Bootloader) and got this error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v2 -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
Error while burning bootloader.
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (0x03eb:0x2104)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I am a super newbie and have run out of things to try, any suggestions?

Tools.png

Try Old Bootloader.

ieee488:
Try Old Bootloader.

Sorry, I'm a newbie - what does this mean and how do I do it?

Ah! Do you mean select from Tools… Processor? But I only have these two options:

• ATmega328P
  • ATmega168

I tried both with no success. How do I get the option of

• ATmega328P (Old bootloader)
    (see attached file)

Processor.png

You will need to upgrade Boot Manager for the AVR boards to get the option.

ieee488:
You will need to upgrade Boot Manager for the AVR boards to get the option.

I tried using IDE versions 1.6.13 and 1.6.2 but I get the same response. Neither version had the option of "Old Bootloader" in Tools... Processor. How do I perform this "Boot Manager" upgrade?

If its a very recent production official nano, you need to upgrade to latest avr board version through board manager to support it, as they made a compatibility breaking change to the bootloader (but botched fuses in the board def, so you don't get the extra 1.5k of flash that the change could have given us!)

ieee488:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Cores

I reinstalled IDE 1.8.2 then updated the Boot Manager with both the SAM and SAMD modules. The ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) now appears!

I selected it but the upload of "Blink" still fails with the same error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\mhanagan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM5
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3f

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

And, yes, these are brand new genuine Arduino Nano boards (purchased from DigiKey). And I checked to be sure the USB was a genuine FTDI IC). I also tried a third USB cable to no avail. All three cables work with my Propeller micro so they should be good.

I found an Adafruit Feather 32u4 buried in a box of goodies and I was able to successfully upload the "Blink" sketch. So it really points to something wrong in these new Nanos.

1 Like

If those are brand new genuine boards, you need to upgrade so that you see the Old Bootloader option, but you probably need to choose the normal option.

Before the latest AVR board package version, all the options were for what is now "old bootloader", and the most recent production genuine nanos were not supported.

If you have brand new genuine boards, they probably have the new bootloader on them...

I have no idea on what has changed in the IDE software but just before I relegated these two new Nanos to the brick heap I tried once again to upload Blinky. And voila :o , it worked!!

Same V1.8.5 (no further update that I am aware of), same USB cable and port, same USB driver version. And I used the default ATmega328 bootloader (not the "Old Bootloader").

I am perplexed as to why they work now, but happy I have two more boards in my goodie box.

It worked because, as DrAzzy described, you needed to update your IDE/Board Manager..

So you would get the two bootloader options

ATmega328
ATmega328P (Old bootloader)

when you originally did the update.. you selected the OLD bootloader..

which is not what you wanted to do.. you needed the update to get BOTH options... but you still needed to pick the newer option for your boards (which is what you stated you did in the last step/post, which is why it worked)

I am in the same boat (hence I found this thread).. but mine are clones, and use the CH340G chips for 'FTDI'......

So I'll be trying the same things.. update my IDE/Board Manager.. and trying with the new options for ATmega328

Thanks for posting.

Pretty sure all the clones ship with the old bootloader, so will work with "atmega328p" as processor for 1.6.20 and earlier versions of avr boards, and "atmega328p (old bootloader)" for 1.6.21 and later of avr boards.

xl97:
It worked because, as DrAzzy described, you needed to update your IDE/Board Manager..

So you would get the two bootloader options

ATmega328
ATmega328P (Old bootloader)

when you originally did the update.. you selected the OLD bootloader..

which is not what you wanted to do.. you needed the update to get BOTH options... but you still needed to pick the newer option for your boards (which is what you stated you did in the last step/post, which is why it worked)

I am in the same boat (hence I found this thread).. but mine are clones, and use the CH340G chips for 'FTDI'......

So I'll be trying the same things.. update my IDE/Board Manager.. and trying with the new options for ATmega328

Thanks for posting.

Ah! Now I understand, thank you for helping to clarifiy what happened.

Seems odd the "newest" download of the IDE doesn't automatically have what is needed for the latest genuine Arduino boards.

Ignore me…

I’m a fool! LOL

Why mess about with Board Manager? Just re-bootload as an Uno and then select Uno as board type.

CrossRoads:
Why mess about with Board Manager? Just re-bootload as an Uno and then select Uno as board type.

I'm just a fool.

Its all working now.... but that is actually a good idea.

No issues using a UNO bootloader on Nano?

Many thanks to DrAzzy for the post of April 29 on updating the latest avr board for a recent production Arduinon Nano.

Solved my problem!