Build a pressure regulator for an off-road tire pump

Hi,

I go offroading a lot and I am always deflating and inflating my tires. This idea has to do with making my life easier when inflating my tires. My pump connect to my truck battery and turns on with a switch, I screw on the hose to the tire and let it inflate. The gauge on it off by like 15 psi, but I want to build a system where I use an arduino to stop the pump at 38 psi so that way i dont have to check it myself and keep over inflating to then bring it down to 38 psi.

My Idea is to interrupt the air line and place a pressure sensor in between that I may get from amazon for like $15. I will then use an analog pin to read the signal and write a program to cut off the pump once it reached a certain value using relays and so one. Not sure if anyone has any other ideas, I am all open for opinions. I am also very new too arduino and electronics. I am a mechanical engineer wishing I did electrical engineering so here I am trying to learn, I am reading a beginner book on how to program with it and this would be my first major project.

If you can get a sensor that can be interfaced with an Arduino the programming should be straightforward.

If you have identified a sensor please post a link to its datasheet.

...R

How about an adjustable pressure switch and a relay or Mosfet rated for the amps of your compressor?
No Arduino, no programming

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Port-Adjustable-Diaphragm-Type-Pressure-NC-Controller-Switch-for-Pump/121864184307

Thank you both for your responses!!!

I will post a link to the sensor I plan on potentially using along with the arduino once I start it. I primarily want to use and arduino and code for this project just for practice and experience with it since I am new, but yes the NC pressure switch is another route to take for this project.

Thanks

"The gauge on it off by like 15 psi, but I want to build a system where I use an arduino to stop the pump at 38 psi so that way i dont have to check it myself and keep over inflating to then bring it down to 38 psi."

If you live in the US, Harbor Freight has the below tire inflator with auto shutoff for $45. Might be more practical than a DIY setup.