Buy component in a store?

Hi guys,
Besides ordering online from SparkFun, Digikey or eBay, what are the typical local stores that carry discrete compoments? I'm having trouble tracking down any retail or industrial supply that would carry these items, where I can just go in and buy a pack.

Radio Shack (or The Source up here in Canada) sells some stuff, but it's relatively expensive.

Thoughts or idea?

Sometimes you can find a distributor not too far from home that will sell chips on-site.
Well okay, I did once in the Newark, Delaware area.

I avoid Radio Shack like the flu. Might as well do my grocery shopping at a gas station c-store.
They make up for high prices by having poor selection!

If there is an electronics repair shop in your area, ask them where they buy components..

Sometimes there is a store that supplies those guys...

Radio Shack (or The Source up here in Canada) sells some stuff, but it's relatively expensive.

Well, if you just need a 5 pack of resistors, which in the past was ~$1 at Radio Shack, then it doesn't make much sense to order them for $.10 each and pay $8 shipping plus have to wait a week for them to arrive. You have to evaluate the S/H cost plus the delay of getting the parts.

zoomkat:

Well, if you just need a 5 pack of resistors, which in the past was ~$1 at Radio Shack, then it doesn't make much sense to order them for $.10 each and pay $8 shipping plus have to wait a week for them to arrive. You have to evaluate the S/H cost plus the delay of getting the parts.

It's the shipping delay that is driving my original question. The Source (formerlly Radio Shack) here in Canada has considerably limited supplies for this kind of stuff. For $6 I can get a pack of 140 resistors (which is a good price), except that it's Qty:2 of 70 different values. Great for experimenting, not so great when I need 15 of a given value.

Diodes and LEDs are $2 or $2.50 each. Photocells $1 each. Relays $5. Adds up in a hurry.

Thanks for the inputs and answers so far!

If you can't find a store that sell components locally, your options are limited.

We have Fry's in the US (not sure if they operate in Canada) as an alternative to Radio Shack. Relatively high prices but vastly larger selection compared to RS. You might also look into local Hackerspaces. They might have an inventory of parts or the members might know of other options.

When I placing orders online, I am always looking for parts to pad an order with. I keep a running list of "parts to order." Resistors, capacitors, LEDs, chips, etc. Over time you'll build up an inventory of parts.

I do the same thing as James. I shop between Frys and Radioshack, but I'm also spoiled by having the corp. HQ for Mouser electronics 3 blocks from my house. so If i need something, I just call Will-Call and walk there. Takes them about 30 minutes to pull stuff off the shelves. But when I can, I pad all kinds of extra parts on my list.

Good call on padding the orders. Maybe it's only becuase I'm fairly new to this that I'm feeling the pinch. As I've been order in what I need, I look for the bigger packs, and get 10 or 20 of the item. I guess over time my collection of extra parts will round itself out, and future orders simply act to replenish low stock rather than filling a void.

pbechard:
Good call on padding the orders. Maybe it's only becuase I'm fairly new to this that I'm feeling the pinch. As I've been order in what I need, I look for the bigger packs, and get 10 or 20 of the item. I guess over time my collection of extra parts will round itself out, and future orders simply act to replenish low stock rather than filling a void.

Being a computer repair guy by trade, I pack-rat any and everything that I think i might ever need. And it's come in handy, as for my current project, I'm not having to buy switches, connectors or LED's or anything- Everything I need already has the proper connections and all. And I have 5 each of 680, 1.1, 3.3, 4.7, and 10K ohm resistors "in stock" since those are the popular values that I'm always needing. Usually the only things I ever have to order are capacitors and diodes, and with Mouser, that's like nothing on price. And if you ever need to wire anything, alarm wire comes in handy. It's too small for the pin headers on arduino, but perfect for soldering and everything else- and it's 4 conductor, so you have have I2C and power on one single wire set, and it's neater than a bunch of 2 or single conductor. I bought a 25 foot spool and have used almost all of it. And it's cheap.

check out dipmicro.com for Canadian source - good prices, cheap shipping, arrives fast.

My last Allelectronics order arrived in 2 days, Mouser and PJRC took 3. But I am in the US.

Hi,
DISCLAIMER: Mentioning stuff from my own shop...of course!

I hate to not have !PARTZ! when I need something. That was one thing that motivated these:

http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=36 ... and making a few bucks. Hope to break even in a while :slight_smile:

Resistors: This has 20 values and 400 resistors for $2.50 . Probably cost $4 to ship just this ChinaPost slow- 10-14 days.

Any suggestions on !PARTZ! I should stock are appreciated! The selections in the IC and Voltage Regulator assortments were helped a lot by people here.

I always keep a "shopping list" of things I need (or want), and order everything when the need gets urgent. My favorite places are mouser and digikey. Mouser now carries Arduino boards and header pins, shields, etc.

I too hate Rat Shack, they are usually clueless and always overpriced.