Can I do this project with arduino?

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and I hope to be posting in the most appropriate section :blush:

I am wondering if I can create the following project using Arduino:

I would like to make a remote-controlled robot with a camera installed on it, that can move through space.

Here comes the difficult bit: I would like to create then a GUI where I can have a view from the camera and take “markers”, meaning saving a specific location to which the robot can quickly come back to.

Do you think I can do this using Arduino?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Nicholas

How much programming experience do you have?

ieee488:
How much programming experience do you have?

Thanks for your answer! zero, unfortunately, but I am very happy to put time on it.

I am wondering if I can create the following project using Arduino:

I am very happy to put time on it.

Do you think I can do this using Arduino?

Start with the very basics Arduino examples to see if you can handle the commitment necessary.

larryd:
Start with the very basics Arduino examples to see if you can handle the commitment necessary.

Hey Larryd, thanks for your answer. Sure, it makes sense. I am not aware of the amount of work I have to put into it and finding out this is ideally a good starting point.

Do you think it is possible by the way? If anyone knows a project that already exists and has a similar functioning please let me know.

Also, to the extent of my project, what kind of more basic example would you recommend me?

Thank you.

Nicholas

If anyone knows a project that already exists

That’s the wrong place to start learning.

to the extent of my project, what kind of more basic example would you recommend me?

You need to understand the examples that come with the IDE, that’s what’s recommended.

At the top of the forum page is a green banner. Click the word RESOURCES then pick TUTORIALS and from the page that takes you to, start with FOUNDATIONS AND MORE and explore both the Programming and Microcontroller links, what is in them may save you asking questions and waiting for answers.

After that, go back to the TUTORIALS page and explore the Built-In Examples already loaded in your IDE, look and learn from sections 1, 2, 3, and 5. Section 4 teaches BAD habits, it's better to skip it and past section 5 you don't need soon. Section 5 may be the most important, it teaches arrays and control structures -- don't write a project until you know this section!

When you go through the Examples, keep a browser open to the Arduino page on the example while you also have your IDE open and loaded with the same example. Then check/do your wiring.

You don't have to do them all but you should try to read the code until you can see how it works, the least you will do is gain familiarity with Arduino code.

GoForSmoke:
At the top of the forum page is a green banner. Click the word RESOURCES then pick TUTORIALS and from the page that takes you to, start with FOUNDATIONS AND MORE and explore both the Programming and Microcontroller links, what is in them may save you asking questions and waiting for answers.

After that, go back to the TUTORIALS page and explore the Built-In Examples already loaded in your IDE, look and learn from sections 1, 2, 3, and 5. Section 4 teaches BAD habits, it's better to skip it and past section 5 you don't need soon. Section 5 may be the most important, it teaches arrays and control structures -- don't write a project until you know this section!

When you go through the Examples, keep a browser open to the Arduino page on the example while you also have your IDE open and loaded with the same example. Then check/do your wiring.

You don't have to do them all but you should try to read the code until you can see how it works, the least you will do is gain familiarity with Arduino code.

Awesome, thanks so much GFS this is useful! Sorry for bothering you guys, will follow these steps and hopefully get more advanced in my project.

When you use the IDE, keep a web browser open with a tab for each web page you need to refer to. Then when you have any doubt about what a thing is, you can look it up right there and get back knowing as opposed to guessing, a way to waste hours debugging later.

The Arduino site has a manual's worth of material on it, you just have to look to find it.

nicholas222:
I would like to make a remote-controlled robot with a camera installed on it, that can move through space.

This one is "easy". There is plenty of dedicated FPV (first person view) hardware to be used in RC models. In fact there is probably no work for Arduino in this part.

nicholas222:
Here comes the difficult bit: I would like to create then a GUI where I can have a view from the camera and take "markers", meaning saving a specific location to which the robot can quickly come back to.

This is very general description but it is likely very very difficult task. You can make it a bit easier if you for example place physical markers on the ground and they emit some signal the robot can "hear" and follow on its way back. But it may be still very complicated if the "quickly come back to" is strict. If the "markers" are only virtual and you imagine the robot will "look around, remember the place and way back to it" than it is super difficult. Surely out of reach of Arduino (at least the common ones based on AVR). You need something with orders of magnitude more resources. Raspberry Pi or similar boards may(!) be enough.
Of course since you need bidirectional communication for this the device finding way may be outside of the robot and only sending commands via the RF link. In either case there is little work for Arduino to do (only as "support" for gathering and preprocessing information from various sensors) but don't expect with zero experience so far you will get close to working prototype any soon.

TLDR: no, this is not a project suitable for Arduino. The "difficult bit" is not suitable for a beginner.