can i use a different capacitor in this?

Im trying to make a tv be gone key-chain. the schematic im using uses a 22uf 100v capacitor.

I dont have one on hand. I do however have
33uf 25v
47uf 50v
100uf 50v

Im still pretty new to circuits. Im assuming that the capacitor in this case is charging to discharge enough power to the IR LED. This makes me think that its possible to use a different one. But again i dont know a lot about this stuff so im not sure. Im trying to read online to learn about it but im not finding anything specific.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'd have to see a schematic, but its probably not critical. In most cases you can use a higher capacitance.

The voltage rating is the maximum voltage and since you have a little battery-operated device you are probably not in danger of over-voltaging the capacitor.

You can use the 35uF
It'sjust a filter cap.
Your assumption waswrobg. It hasnothing to do with charging . It just keeps the voltagestable.

Hello Zenos

Is not safe to change this capacitor for any of those. You have capacitors with less voltage and the replace should be the same.

would be better to watch the schematic diagram to tell you a good answer.

volveralfuturo:
Hello Zenos

Is not safe to change this capacitor for any of those. You have capacitors with less voltage and the replace should be the same.

would be better to watch the schematic diagram to tell you a good answer.

Oh please. Instrucables are notoriously poor designs, this is yet another example. A 33uf 25v is a perfectly reasonable substitute.

Where did you go to school ?

Since when is a 35uF cap not a suitable replacement for a SIMPLE POWER SUPPLY FILTER CAP ?

volveralfuturo:

If you give a rubbish answer like you have done here be prepared to be shot down on this forum. We will answer any question no matter how simple but we will not tolerate incorrect advice being given unchallenged.

In fact in this circuit, the voltage rating of the capacitor need be only marginally (20%?) greater than the battery voltage itself - since no part of the circuit serves to increase the voltage.

In some other circuits, involving "charge pumps" or inductors, you may require higher voltage ratings.

Wow I see children's reactions around here ... it smells like baby !

lol

I didnt see the link to watch the schematic diagram. sorry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I could see the question only. sorry !!!!

lol

So nice to see you accepting criticism in the manor it was meant.

The OP said:-

Im trying to make a tv be gone key-chain.

I could see the question only.

So you expected this project could possibly involve voltages greater that 50V? This is a forum for Arduinos and most circuits involve 5V or less. This project was for a "key chain" device this means it was portable. Long gone are the days when you could get HT batteries of 75V.

So you didn't need to see the circuit to know there was no voltage over 50V involved.

Grumpy_Mike:
Long gone are the days when you could get HT batteries of 75V.

Excuse the divergence but I recall the days when Ever-Ready made a 120volt HT block which basically comprised 80 of 1.5volt zinc carbon U2 cells. As moronic apprentices we mischievously destroyed unknown numbers by 'drawing' massively fat sparks.

As moronic apprentices we mischievously destroyed unknown numbers by 'drawing' massively fat sparks.

We should never speak of this again...

volveralfuturo:

Introspection is good for the soul! :roll_eyes:

volveralfuturo:
I didn't see the link to watch the schematic diagram. sorry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I could see the question only. sorry !!!!

It is advisable, indeed essential here to fully read and comprehend what is posted before submitting a reply. Not that I have not been caught out myself plenty of times as you see in my posting count. :grinning:

This is a LOL: :grinning:

I've never done that.

Missing smiley? :roll_eyes:

I'm the straight guy