Can this setup be done with Current Sensor ACS712 with arduino ?

Hello,
I am using the current sensor ACS712 to measure current coming from a battery pack to the arduino, but I would like to know if it is possible to connect the ACS712 on both sides to the same power source means powering the ACS712 and the arduino and connecting to the sensing poles as the below pictures shows ?

thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Of course not.
Do you have any idea how a current shunt works ?
How can you even be using an ACS712 without knowing that ?

raschemmel:
Of course not.

i just read about it
but why it is not possible ? i need to measure the current going to the arduino and the ICs around it and LEDs but i need also to power the sensor

i think in this tutorial they are taking the power from the arduino and measuring it also

Wow, I was surprised to see 10 to 13mA current needed on the Vcc supply pin.
I don't see any reason why with the 5V source on IP+ that the IP- pins couldn't then be used to power the system, including the device itself.

"I don't see any reason why with the 5V source on IP+ that the IP- pins couldn't then be used to power the system, including the device itself."

Maybe because it is BYPASSING the current sensor?
Why not take it from the OUT pins ?
Isn't that how the ACS712 is normally used ?
LOOK at the wiring here: (is it the same?)
"https://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2020/02/15/acs712-current-sensor-features-how-it-works-arduino-guide/"

raschemmel:
"I don't see any reason why with the 5V source on IP+ that the IP- pins couldn't then be used to power the system, including the device itself."

Maybe because it is BYPASSING the current sensor?

Can you explain to me please ? why do you think it is bypassing the current sensor ?

look at the link I posted.
The +in and -in should go to the green connector.
It looks like your breakout works differently than the one I linked. Apparently the two terminals on
the green connector are series in and out so that makes your wiring correct.

raschemmel:
look at the link I posted.
The +in and -in should go to the green connector.
It looks like your breakout works differently than the one I linked. Apparently the two terminals on
the green connector are series in and out so that makes your wiring correct.

I saw that link while I was searching, it is a different sensor and it has 4 pins
so you mean I can wire it the way i did and measure the current from the power that is supplying the arduino and the current sensor ?

The youtube video I saw showed the Green connector wired as I(in) and I(out), unlike the
the other type.

raschemmel:
The youtube video I saw showed the Green connector wired as I(in) and I(out), unlike the
the other type.

yes the green connector should be connected to where you want to measure

yes the green connector should be connected to where you want to measure

That's sort of vague.
I would say "the two terminals on the green connector are current_IN and current_OUT."
(which is consistent with your posted wiring)
If you look at this type (Sparkfun) it is wired differently, in the way I thought yours was supposed to be wired.

raschemmel:
That's sort of vague.
I would say "the two terminals on the green connector are current_IN and current_OUT."
(which is consistent with your posted wiring)
If you look at this type (Sparkfun) it is wired differently, in the way I thought yours was supposed to be wired.

yes it can be wired this way if you are using two power source which is the case of most the tutorials so that is why i posted my question to check and make sure if i can use one battery pack to power the arduino, current sensor and in the same time measure the current for this power source

raschemmel:
Of course not.

The ACS712 doesn't use a shunt, its a Hall sensor, so its completely isolated, so yes you can
connect it how you like.

Good to know

MarkT:
The ACS712 doesn't use a shunt, its a Hall sensor, so its completely isolated, so yes you can
connect it how you like.

Thank you Mark !

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.