Can't upload to Uno

Hi, I just purchased a Osepp R4, and this is my first time using an Arduino. I'm trying to run the blink example, but I'm getting an error that says

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified.

I've gone to device manager and set my port to COM1, and under Tools > Ports COM1 is selected. Also in the preferences.txt file COM1 is set to the default serial port. I've read a bunch of troubleshooting and watched videos, but I still can't upload. Please help

I seriously doubt the Osepp R4 is on COM1.

Not sure why you think it is.

What port would it be on? I'm not entirely sure what communication/serial ports are...

Look under tools -> port in the IDE. If that is greyed out, look in device manager and see what happens when you connect/disconnect the board.

Depending on the OS and the ttl-to-usb chip on the board, you might have to install a driver.

The ports menu isn't greyed out, and when I go to device manager, unplugging/plugging the board doesn't seemed to change anything (I'm looking under the Ports (COM & LPT) section). I'm not sure what to do. Also the board is lighting up when I plug it in, so I'm assuming that means that the cord is good.

Any other options in the port menu?

Any yellow triangles in device manager? The board seems to use the 16U2 and should work out-of-the-box.

There are charge-only cables around, so the fact that it lights up does not mean that the cable is suitable for communication. Was the cable supplied with the board or did you buy one or did it come from an older cell-phone or ...?

After that, I'm out of options.

1. no other options in the port menu
  2. there aren't any yellow triangles that i can see
  3. it's a charging cable for a little bluetooth speaker. Could that be the issue?

MrMageeyee:
3. it's a charging cable for a little bluetooth speaker. Could that be the issue?

Possibly. Try a different cable.