Chromebook is not a good fit; looking for a used laptop that is specifically for Arduino

Just introduced to Arduino. I have figured out my wife's new Chromebook is not the best setup for programming Arduino. Chromebook OS Linux IDE issues are a PITA, while Web Editor does not even try to work on uploads.

I was hoping someone had some suggestions on a good used, maybe new, laptop to go with for programming Arduino. Not wanting to invest a lot and get something that meets the minimum configuration while reliable. I am open to Linux or Windows based laptops. Although Linux are pricey.

I'll recommend looking for a refurbished Thinkpad. Anything just vaguely modern should be more than capable. The budget Thinkpad E-series is also very affordable as new.

Have you considered using a Respberry Pi to program the Arduino? Fairly inexpensive compared to a laptop and one can program the RPi to do things too. I use mine as an Image processor doing TensorFlow, my RPI is an FTP server, an MQTT Broker, and runs several programs as part of my projects.

A 8GB RPi4 with a case should run abou170ish USD.

You'll want your RPi case to have its own fan.

Thanks. I'll definitely check out a Thinkpad! :+1:

1 Like

My local Arduino buddy has a Raspberry Pi but he uses a little Microsoft laptop for his Arduino programming. I'll have to ask him why he does not use the Raspberry for Arduino programming. Thanks.

Raspberry Pi is really cool, but it is not necessarily a great value as a conventional PC. You must take into account all the components that are required to assemble a complete PC:

• RPi
  • Good SD card
  • High quality power supply
  • Case
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Monitor

If you have parts on hand already or can scavenge them then it can work out OK, but otherwise you are going to end up spending more than just buying a standard PC.

Another concern is that some tools are not available for the ARM architecture of the RPi. For example, you can't use the new Arduino IDE 2.x on it, only the classic Arduino IDE 1.8.19 and older. You will also find that some boards platforms don't have toolchains compiled for ARM Linux (though the actively maintained official platforms do have them).

To me, the RPi is more interesting for headless embedded applications.

My buddy has a Raspberry Pi he just loaded up with Arduino IDE (around version 1.8.13 I think...) and I get it for a song! I have spare computer parts so this might be a good rebound from that Chromebook.

I use Linux but I can't recommend it as a base for an Arduino install for a beginner.

It might not be the most direct route to Arduino development, but it's not something I would discourage. Raspberry Pi has a great support community that overlaps with the Arduino community so a moderately persistent hobbyist ought to be able to get there.

1 Like

Ouch! I had used Ubuntu Linux for years on a desktop. Not much programming though. I could go into Terminal Mode and move around and execute software changes, etc. But not a code generator.
We will see if the Raspberry Pi loaded with Arduino is workable or a PITA. Wish me luck, I'll probably need it. Lol

I hope I am up to the task. I am retired with time on my hands so in no particular hurry.

If you have Ubuntu experience then RPi isn't going to be much different. The thing about Linux is that it's inherently a mult-user OS, so one may have to set permissions to access USB or serial ports which involves some cryptic command line incantations, but there are guides available. Once you're in the Arduino IDE it doesn't much matter what is the base OS.

The other thing to watch is that the version of the Arduinio IDE in the RPi repository is (used to be?) a pretty old version, so one probably wants to install from https://www.arduino.cc/en/software

Appreciate your input! :+1:

So, most people know, Windows 11 is out and many PC's cannot be (officially) upgraded. Already, I have seen increased listings, so watch for PC's being denoted to charities and on eBay, etc. Most will have Windows 10, maybe a few older OS: all will run Linux and Raspberry Pi has a desktop OS just like the rPi version but x86.

Never buy new!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.