Continuity tester (58 pin)

Hello,

I am looking to build a continuity tester using an arduino board. I know that there are some topics already covering this and I have read them. I am looking for some advice regarding the type of board I should use. I havent bought a board yet and I am looking only to use this board for this purpose.

I have a socket (plug) with 58 pins connected to wires, these wires are then all connected to a termination block. I would like to quicken the testing process by creating an automatic tester. From previous topics I gathered that I can get away with using 58 connector pins if I connect the cable ends to LEDs with adjacent pairs in opposite polarity as explained in "https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=366371.0" answer #10.

This being said, I would like some guidance on the type of board I should buy for this purpose. As I do not know much about Arduino boards it is easy to get lost in the amount of choices one has. I am looking for a very basic board with a screen preferably that has many connector pins.

Your link does not work, and your suggestion of using LEDs makes no sense to me.

Please explain how you want to test this cable.

This version of the link seems to work Continuity Tester (Pass or Fail outcome only) - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum

Its just a zigzag of LEDs, so you apply alternating voltages via resistors at the sending end.

[ original link is garbled with both http: and https: ! ]

What are the leds for? If the user has to check that all leds come on in some sequence, how does that qualify as an "automatic tester"?

The LEDs are only there to provide a connection. So lets say we have 3 pins on this cable. Connecting the end side with one LED from pins 1 to 2 and another LED from 3 to 2 (respecting the direction).

Then the Arduino board can test the continuity between 1 and 2 with connection of pin 1 set as an output and connection of pin 2 set as input. This tests both pins 1 and 2 simultaneously and we could program a way to decipher which of the pins is having issues depending on which side is not seeing current/voltage. Then using the program we flip the states of 1 (output) and 2 (input) and test between 3 (output) and 2.

Sorry for the link not working. Its my first post. If you check the previous topic that MarkT helpfully linked (#2) you will see the logistics behind how the tester should work. There is another option of setting input and output fixed pins but then I would need a board with 116 pins which does not seem practical.

Ah, the suggestion was diodes, not light-emitting diodes! LEDs would have a higher voltage drop than ordinary signal diodes (at least 1.8V Vs as little as 0.2V) which might interfere with the intended operation.

Then test between all non-adjacent pairs of leads for shorts (direction not important as there will be at least 2 diodes between them).

Thank you Paul for clarifying why the use of diodes and not LEDs.

I still have an issue of not knowing which board to use. should I start another topic and phrase my question a bit better?

Thank you

Hello,

I am building a continuity tester for a cable, it has 58 pins. I discussed the workings of this tester in my previous topic: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=711849.new#new . However I still did not buy a board. I would like to have some guidance in which board best suits my project before I do so.

Any help in the hardware would be appreciated

Topics merged

Why did you start a new topic instead of continuing the original thread ?

Can you explain a bit more about the "cable" that is attached to this 58 pole connector. Are there multiple connectors attached to this "cable" or simply bare ends of wire ?
And what is the current testing procedure.
Some wiring looms can be complex, ruling out a simple 1:1 test, and maybe including joins and embedded components.

#8 I didnt know how to change the title of my topic and also was afraid my topic would get buried without getting any answers. Sorry

You can change the title of your topic by modifying the original post.

You're asking the wrong question. From your cryptic description, any Arduino or ESP board will work. For anyone to give a better reply you need to describe what you are testing. Are you looking for shorts, correct connections? What's on the other end of the wires into the connector?

#9 and #12: The cable has one end that looks like a female plug like the RS232 but much larger with 58 pins in total. The other end is simply loose wires that are connected in a termination box (also 58 connectors). These wires are then connected to a further circuit through that termination box but I only want to test the cable up until that point. Basically I am only testing 58 different wires bundled up together into a plug.
So my idea was to connect a male plug whos wires are connected into an Arduino board and the termination box connected to diodes in a zigzag direction. Then the Arduino board can run its tests. I must insure that each of these wires can conduct current and that when I inject current at pin 1 I can see this current at pin 2. and when I inject current at pin 2 I can see it at pin 3. This is why I do not think every board can work. The full explanation with how I've arrived to this tester is in topic which is linked in #2.

The answer to your question is: the Mega has 54 digital pins. it is not clear if this includes the analog input pins.

Or any Arduino or ESP board with a port expander chip like the MCP20017 port expander.

OK. So are you also interested in looking for short circuits or just continuity ? And how much effort is required to prepare the cable end at the termination box before you can conduct a test ?

Yes i believe thats exactly what i need. Digital pins are perfect since i can switch between modes and also use read and write commands easily. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

SteveMann:
Or any Arduino or ESP board with a port expander chip like the MCP20017 port expander.

Thats also a possibility. Since i Have no board yet and will only use it for this purpose I think I will go with the mega but I will keep this in mind if I require customization in the future.

#16 yes i shall be testing shorts as well. All I have to do is send signals from adjacent leads. The termination box is already in place. I am trying to create the hardware and board in such a way where manual belling of all 58 pins would be replaced by a simple plug in of a male cable and some circuitry with diodes in the termination box ( the termination box has holes where some type of connectors can be "plugged" in without removing wires and reconnecting)