Creating a Silent Alarm

I am writing this in hopes that anyone would be able to provide me with some sort of step by step instructions that would help turn my alarm system into a silent/visual alarm.

I currently have an alarm system that has sensors on both the windows and the doors and if the alarm is set and those windows or doors open the alarm will sound.

What I am wishing to achieve is to turn my alarm system into some sort of a visual alarm (silent alarm) instead of an audible alarm.

The idea/ direction I am thinking of is somehow taking those window and door contact wires to some type of trigger switch/device (a relay) and instead of bringing them to the alarm box creating something that once the contact is open a signal would be sent to a flashing light/led that would notify me that a door or window has been open.

My main issue is that I am not familiar with relays and setting them up. I know that they are basically a switch but that is the extent of my relay knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is how I want the system to operate

• If Windows/Doors are Closed and the Contacts are touching then there is no power sent to the LED therefore the LED does not light up.
• If Windows/Doors are Opened and the Contacts are separated then power sent to the LED therefore the LED lights up.

I know some people are out there wondering why I don’t just use my alarm as it is designed for. One reason is that we don’t have a key panel by the back door and we have dogs that need letting out in the back yard at night to do their business and I’m tired of me or the wife forgetting to turn the alarm off and then the alarm sounding and waking everyone and the neighbors at all hours of the night. I sleep in a dark room and if the doors or windows would open it would send a signal to a flashing light would wake me up notifying me that someone is in my home.

I am sure this is a simple fix with someone who has a good working knowledge of normally open normally closed switches/devices but I have the understanding just no clue where to get them or how to find/ install them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

It might be easier to use the existing system and simply redirect the signal from the siren to the light. Another option would be a switch at the back door to bypass that door sensor. After all, a flashing light in the middle of the day would do little to deter someone from rifling through your house.

I guess the other question is-----What's up with the dog security system??? Is it broken?

I am only concerned about knowing if someone has entered my home at night while my wife and i are sleeping. So during the day or when i am not home is not what i am concerned with. My room is pitch black and so the flashing light(LED) would notify me someone has entered my home. Also the reason for the light is because i sleep with three fans so any noise of someone breaking in or walking around in my house would be drowned out by the fan noise. The dogs hearing is also hampered by the sound of the fans and as far as them doing anything they are 5lb and 6lb yorkies

brad2370001: The dogs hearing is also hampered by the sound of the fans and as far as them doing anything they are 5lb and 6lb yorkies

Ahhh, understood.

Still, you could use the existing system for all the entry points, and simply take the wires for the speaker and drive the light.

Actually, what kind of system is it? Is it a wireless sensor, all in one command station setup, or is it a wired system with a metal box in the closet and a speaker buried somewhere else?

brad2370001: I am only concerned about knowing if someone has entered my home at night while my wife and i are sleeping. so the flashing light(LED) would notify me someone has entered my home.

Anyone spot the possible flaws in that system ?

Could you see a flashing light when you're sound asleep with your head under a pillow? :) Think I would put a timed bypass (say, 20 minutes) on the back door sensor, press a hidden button, the sensor is bypassed for 20 min then resets after you've gone to bed.